Inside window trim/frame

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

remodelgirl

Not sure what you call the inside trim or frame of a window. we are at the stage where we are putting new trim on our windows (interior). The boards that were on the windows were like 2 or 3 1/8 inch panels built up and cut to fit the 1 x 6 window frame. What is a good replacement option for these boards. We tried a 1 x 6 but 1 inch is too much. We thought maybe cut down some top grade plywood but that is a lot of work and a little expensive, my windows are 46 1/2 by 54 1/2 and there are 6 that we need to re-trim.

Any suggestions would help.
ponch37300

Are you talking about the return or extension jamb that goes from the window out to flush with the drywall or paneling? If so are you painting or staining it? If staining I use matching wood. If painting I just use plywood and rip strips to fit, can use 3/4" or 1/2" if you want. I build the frame first and then shim it into place and then put the trim on.
JD
Site Admin

It sound s to me like you are talking about the paneling finish on the jambs. I would just use 1/4" sanded plywood. Might need a couple of layers like the manufacturer used. 1 4x8 sheet would do a bunch of windows for $22 or so. The 1/4" would stand up a lot better than 1/8" luan. Definitely stain and seal it well as these windows are prone to sweating.

They also sell premium hardwood slats that would be ultra nice, but crazy expensive.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
remodelgirl

Thanks for the input. We used one sheet of 1/2 in plywood, we fit it last night. Now we are going to go over with a 1/8 inch plywood (almost looks like underlayment). The finish is sanded and smooth, we used a 1 x 8 for the sill. The fit looks nice, I primed the boards last night and will paint them tonight. With just the primer on they look nice, so I am excited for the paint.
ponch37300

If you get a chance post up some pictures to show the process and finished results.
Steve-WA

I always use the primed mdf that Lowe's has in stock. It's the right width, I paint it high gloss white, and the bottom piece I always use about an inch wider, for a "shelf". 45 cuts in the corners, brad nailer & caulk along window & in corners. Cove molding to cover the side edges. I'll be doing one tomorrow - process photos
Greg S

I would advise against using MDF trim espically around windows. High moisture levels are bad for MDF and the MDF is so flimsy it followes every bump and wave in the wall making it look bad.
Use the finger joint or solid pine prefinished trim if possible. The results will be well worth the extra cost involved. Run calking along the edges when you are done and it will look perfect.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)