Help installing new MDF molding..

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I have painted my interior walls and am replacing the thin cheap molding that goes around the interior doors with some nice thick molding made from MDF. as you know MDF is very hard and i was thinking, as hard as i would have to hit the nails to drive them through this hard material, it would probably move the interior wall being in a mobile home and all..any ideas on fastening this MDF molding without pounding ??
opinion free

Why not drill tiny pilot holes through the MDF first? Then it should be easier to nail into place.
mopower440

will give that a try, Thanks.
ponch37300

Pneumatic nail gun if you're going to be doing a decent amount of trim. Otherwise like mentioned drill pilot holes must smaller then the nail.
mopower440

well, i was wrong, it is NOT MDF, its primed pine, so maybe it will nail easy?
ponch37300

Pine is a pretty soft wood but I would still pre drill. It makes nailing a lot easier and you don't have to worry about the nail bending over or going in at the wrong angle.
DaleM

Molding adhesive is a quick grab product. Apply it to the trim either in a thin line or dots along it's length with a caulk gun. Put it where you want it, hold it in place for about 30 seconds then move on to the next piece.

http://www.liquidnails.com/products/bon ... sive-LN910