leveling a home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jimncheryl

Is there any feed back on using the plastic ABS wedges as opposed to the oak wedges . I have had some wood wedges fall out after about 5 years since the home was originally set up. I inspected the wood and found compression lines or areas of compression .
Any feed Back ??
Thanks
Jim
Greg

Plastic should be fine. You want to stay away from pine and other softwoods.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Is plastic HUD approved? I think I remember JD saying hardwood shims were what HUD calls for but maybe plastic is approved also?

On a side note do the box stores by you guys sell hardwood shims? None of them around me do.
Greg

I was thinking the functional end of using plastic, not the HUD approved end.

I am not sure if HUD approves the use or not.

Greg
Steve S.

ponch37300 wrote:On a side note do the box stores by you guys sell hardwood shims? None of them around me do.
Nope...I haven't found any. I had to shop online and then I ended up with poplar, not oak shims. They've held up so far. I would think that plastic wedges may not hold as well as wood and may slip out under compression.
Greg

You could always get a few oak pallets and cut wedges from them. It may take a little time, but the price is right.

Greg
ponch37300

Greg wrote:You could always get a few oak pallets and cut wedges from them. It may take a little time, but the price is right.

Greg
I've thought about making my own but never figured out a good way to cut shims. I've thought about making a jig to hold the wood on an angle and run it threw my thickness planer but then I just order them instead of making them because they are fairly cheap. Is there a simple way to make them that I'm not thinking of?
Greg

Band saw if you have one,

Greg
ponch37300

No bandsaw and don't think the wifey would go for the excuse we need one to make some cheap shims! Have just about every other wood working tool except a bandsaw.