Fastening underlayment to particle board

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve S.

Hello All,
Now that I'm down to the subfloor(11/16" particle board) on my dining room, I want to raise the floor up to the level of my kitchen floor. What are your thoughts on fastening plywood underlayment to the existing subfloor? I was thinking construction adhesive and 9/16" staples. Or does it get nailed or screwed down. I know that hardly anything will fasten to particle board, so a combination of fasteners seems best. I must have nailed the underlayment in my kitchen because I can see bumps in the tiles where nails are telescoping through to the surface. I'm still debating which upper flooring product to use...while buying supplies at HD, I saw just too many packages of Allure planks being returned to the service desk :( .I may go with the tried-and-true adhesive vinyl tiles.
Greg

Personally I don't like the idea of leaving particle board. I worry that should you have a leak down the road, It will turn to mush, fall out and leave you with a gap.

I would remove the particle board and go over the joists with either 1x or 2x depending on what you want to add and then put the new subfloor down with screws.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

If you leave the particle board the ply underlay is put down with flooring screws. The under lay is 1/4 inch thick and usually comes with the location of each screw point marked. Once down there is a flooring compound you apply over all the seams and screw heads to get the surface smooth. If you do not do this all the seams and screw location will telegraph through the flooring over time.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Steve S.

To Greg in NY, I agree that replacing all the particle board would be the best solution for the long term. The original PB subfloor is in very good condition, except for a small patch I had to cut out by my front door and replace with 3/4" plywood...I just can't justify a total replacement at this time.
To Greg S., I thought about screws but I wasn't sure if the heads would not cause deformation of the surface on 1/4" plywood. "Telegraph", that is the correct word I meant to say...I have seen that happen to my kitchen floor. It has been nearly 20 years since I replaced that floor(before this website existed). I guess I used nails on that underlayment but should have used screws. Thanks for the input guys.
Cheers, Steve
Greg

Steve, I think you would be fine with screws, just make sure you tighten them enough to pull the screw heads below the surface. If the existing subfloor is in good shape, Why go over it with Plywood? I would also use Glue between the two also. Glue it & Screw it, it should never move.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

I'm a staple guy for underlayment. An air stapler makes quick work of it and is cheaper then screws. I was taught this buy a few different flooring guys on jobsites. It has worked good for me so far. Although screws will also work fine.
Greg S

Staples will work fine if used with glue. Without glue staples will not hold tight over time and will cause bumps in flooring.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Steve S.

Decisions, decisions...it seems there are as many opinions on this subject as types and styles of flooring products(when I search the internet). I guess if the project is done thoughtfully and not carelessly in haste, any fastening system will work. My kitchen and bathroom vinyl tiles have both held up very well over the years despite my inexperience in laying floors...it seems like the telegraphing nail heads only occurs where there is very heavy foot traffic, so maybe on those particular areas of my dining room floor I can cover the imperfections with leveling compound.