Kitchen Backsplash

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Norm Frechette

My first project for 2014 (laminate floor in living room) is done so now its on to project #2.

Kitchen Backsplash

So my question is: tile and grout or the new style peel and stick without the grout

peel n stick

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-Tiles- ... 5yc1vZbcsz

looking for comments from those who have used the peel n stick
Greg

Perhaps it's just me, but I always question a "New and easy to install" product. They do seem to look good, but from the picture the look like it may be hard to clean.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

This is one of those products that needs to be viewed from the correct perspective.

Obviously they are not ceramic tile and will not likley stand up to extended cleaning as tile would. They are a quick alternative option for a back splash that is less expensive and easy for the home owner to install themselves. From a distance, at a glance, they will have a nice appearance and only the home owner will know they are peel and stick, up close they are what they are.
The plus is that with a mobile home they may take the movement of the home better than tile and can easily be removed if they buckle with movement.
The seams will be visible and at the ends it will be obvious they are thin stick on tile but in the right situation this may be OK.
If you want a ceramic tile back splash obviously this is not a substitute. It is an alternate style of back splash that in certain situations can be attractive.

I would not put them in my own home but would put them in an older mobile that I was selling to achieve a quick and easy visual upgrade. My decission would be primarily based on the level of upgrade I was aiming to achieve.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
HouseMedic

Doing a backsplash is not that hard if you have ever done any tile work. If you are looking to have the whole backsplash those smaller tiles I would advise using the regular tile with tile adhesive. It would be the same putting it up it's just you would have to put the adhesive on the wall first which is not that hard to do. Just make sure to use the correct notched trowel. Plus when you use the adhesive method you can move the tiles around a little after they go on the wall to straighten them out. The tiles would still be in sheet form just like the self stick ones and if you read the info on the self stick ones it states that they can be removed with a hair dryer. So I would think if it started to get pretty hot in the kitchen they would start to come loose. JMO.

Ron
calderhill

I agree with everything Greg S said except, @ 12.79 sq/ft, :shock: this does not equal "less expensive" in my book. Lots of "I love it" reviews from Home Depot customers. No, I would not use them.
opinion free

I'm not sure what everyone is cooking in the kitchen to get their backsplash so dirty, but mine never needs anything more than a simple wipe down. Working tile and grout, into that tight space, seems unbelievable challenging and MESSY. This tile substitute looks real nice to me. If the adhesive starts to loosen, a simple finish nail to the corners and it won't move.
If you have custom cabinets, high end stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops, then no, this instant, faux tile is probably not the way to go. If you have an upgraded trailer home kitchen, then I think it's a great alternative.
It may seem pricey until you factor in the 2 to 3 days required to put up regular tile. According to my employer, my time is worth $68/hour. How come my check doesn't mirror that figure is a mystery to me.
Good luck.
Norm Frechette

Greg wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I always question a "New and easy to install" product. They do seem to look good, but from the picture the look like it may be hard to clean.

Greg
any harder than cleaning a regular tile??
Norm Frechette

calderhill wrote:I agree with everything Greg S said except, @ 12.79 sq/ft, :shock: this does not equal "less expensive" in my book. Lots of "I love it" reviews from Home Depot customers. No, I would not use them.
it was only used as an example and i never said less expensive :lol:
Norm Frechette

opinion free wrote:If you have custom cabinets, high end stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops, then no, this instant, faux tile is probably not the way to go. If you have an upgraded trailer home kitchen, then I think it's a great alternative.
even in a newer home like mine (2007) we are not talking about high end anything! it came with the cheap cabinets, standard white GE appliances and laminate counter tops. :D

the only high end thing about my home is that it sits on a cement slab vs dirt! :D
Last edited by Norm Frechette on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norm Frechette

i'm not afraid of keeping my mind open to new and advanced products that may make doing things a little easier.

but after some consideration and talking with my brother, i have decided not to use the peel and stick style of tyling and go with the the regular style of tiling and grouting.
ponch37300

When I clicked on that link it was almost the exact same tiles as I used, except I used the real thing. I'm not a fan of too many "peel and stick" things. I've seen way to many peel and stick carpet squares and vinyl tiles that look great when put down but then shortly after start coming up and all the seems show. I'm open to new things but most of these quick and easy things don't live up to all they claim.

A backsplash really isn't bad to do with real tile and grout. And if you don't have a tile saw you can have the box stores make the cuts for you. Means a few extra trips to the store but that gas used is cheaper then a tile saw. And if done right will last a really long time.

Here's a picture of mine.

Greg

ponch37300 wrote:
A backsplash really isn't bad to do with real tile and grout. And if you don't have a tile saw you can have the box stores make the cuts for you. Means a few extra trips to the store but that gas used is cheaper then a tile saw. And if done right will last a really long time.
Harbor freight has a "decent" wet saw for around $60. I have one and for as often as I do tile it works just fine. You can find it on sale or with a coupon for around $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-por ... ySKoT_ViSo

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Greg wrote:
ponch37300 wrote:
Harbor freight has a "decent" wet saw for around $60. I have one and for as often as I do tile it works just fine. You can find it on sale or with a coupon for around $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-por ... ySKoT_ViSo

Greg
Here is a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight. Just use the one that says it is for a friend. I might use the other one and I don't think they can be used again. http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidg ... ource=1022

Ron
Norm Frechette

Backsplash is all done and to my liking. grouted and ready for sealing

my brother has a tile saw and that was free to use.

all i had to do is buy all materials

sorry not posting photos
Jax

I used the smart tiles product in my kitchen and I love them. They were super quick and very easy to install. Ordered from Amazon, and even with shipping paid way less than I would have from the big box stores. I would recommend them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.