cleaning vinyl walls for paint?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I have the vinyl wallpaper covered sheetrock and am getting ready to paint it. What can i use to totally clean these walls spotless before painting that wont leave any residue on the walls? I know TSP but it requires major rinsing because of residue..
Thanks
Greg

That is the recommended product, But 409 rinsed with water seems to work fine.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I don't know of any product that will not require rinsing and TSP is the best product I know of.

Having painted over vinyl before I would highly recommend a thorough light sanding of the vinyl with a 220 grit sand paper before painting and the use of a high adhesion primer. Make sure the primer does not advise against the use of TSP (some do).
This is a fair amount of work but the key to a good paint job is always the prep. If you do not follow this process your paint could peel off.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
mopower440

what primer do you recommend from experience with the vinyl walls? I have some zinsser bullseye 123 right now but i dont think it wants you to use the TSP
mopower440

any recomendations on good paint for this?
Greg

Behr from Home depot has always gotten very good reviews, Lowes has a paint/primer also that has gotten good reviews also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Oil-based Kilz. Period.
PS: ventilation.