Electrical Boxes at Marriage Wall?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

StanD

I am chasing down an electrical issue and while under the double wide mobile home noticed two large junction boxes at the marriage wall. One on one half and the other on the other half.
The one on the side where the breakers are was terminated in a large gauge power cord that plugged into the box on the other side. Curious what this is, ground?

Last edited by StanD on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

It may be the way the 2 halves are connected, with out seeing it I really am only guessing. Can you post a picture?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
StanD

Greg wrote:It may be the way the 2 halves are connected, with out seeing it I really am only guessing. Can you post a picture?

Greg
I will if I need up pulling the siding on that end to find the problem. I had to belly crawl all the way there and it wasn't fun.
calderhill

Yeah, a picture would be great but I'm sure it's the power feed between halves. What kind of problem are you having? This plug and socket connection can cause just about any problem especially on the side that the panel is not on.
DaleM

If there are any plugs on those wires get rid of them. I found most of the electrical problems we track down for Dwides are the plug connections themselves. All of the wiring is number coded, if yours isn't, be sure to label it all so you get the same wiring back together. Simply cut power, cut the plugs off everything then wire nut it all back together, being sure all the wire nut connections are in covered boxes.
StanD

I think I have to run new romex. I am not sure where the old romex runs from the panel. Did they run romex in the space above the ceiling? Or is it all stapled to the studs in the walls?

My issue:
I have a single pole circuit out.
Breaker isn't tripped. Pulled breaker and reseated it a couple of times (checked with voltmeter, it's working) There is 116v leaving the breaker.
Neutral on busbar is tight
No GFIs on the circuit.
Pulled all outlets, switches and fixtures on the circuit. No loose wires or wire nuts.
Using outlet tester in an outlet results in no lights on the tester coming on.

The romex coming into the breaker panel for this circuit is 12/3 w/ ground. The red wire feeds the circuit that is dead. The black wire feeds another circuit that is working fine. (Mulitwire branch circuit) I have 230v between the black and red.

Could the problem be with the neutral on the black wire circuit?

Likely I am going to have to start pulling the interior paneling unless the romex runs over the ceiling.
countrydan

If I understand correctly- There's a red hot wire off one circuit breaker, another black hot wire off a different circuit breaker, and one common ground and one common neutral between them.

The complete red circuit is dead and outlet tester shows nothing.

Based off this info-

1. Do red circuits hot and neutral show any continuity between each of their runs on individual outlets/switches themselves after where marriage connection would be? I'm not familiar with outlets testers but my guess is both the hot and neutral are not there so no lights?? I use a multimeter primarily for my troubleshooting.

2. Since I'm guessing the 2 circuits share a common neutral off what you described, sounds like you have verified hots and neutrals are dead at the Red circuits switches/outlets but good at the blacks.

3. Based on continuity readings between different outlets/switches/fixtures/panel wires on problem circuit I would guess a connection is bad or missing on both the common black/red neutral leg and the red hot leg between the panel and the first set of devices if they show continuity after this...

As always, although you sound like you know what you're doing, if you are unsure of electric and the proper safe repairs and/or replacement please contract a licensed electrician.
StanD

Had an electrician come out.
He did all the same stuff I did and was scratching his head. I mentioned the box under home and he didn't think that was it but we decided to pull the skirting and check.
It looked like a dryer cord and it turned out to be how they were feeding the second side on the double wide. He unplugged it, checked the connections and plugged it back in. The circuit came on.
Loose plug...

Live and learn.
StanD

DaleM

YEP loose plug. Remove it and wire it up direct.
countrydan

I would highly recommend replacing that connection since it was found to be loose. If all the electrician did was remove and replace the plug then it started working, it will spike resistance when used and could start a fire.

My .02 cents
Greg

I would do away with the plug and hard wire it. If the plug was a problem once, it will be again. Plus the arc factor from a bad connection is present.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."