Moving Refridgerator

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

remodelgirl

We are gutting our kitchen and putting up new cabinets with an island. I am so excited for the new cabinets. We purchased forevermark rta cabinets, mostly because the customer service was excellent and they had the dark stained cabinets I was looking for.

After reading on the forum for a couple of days I realized I need to be worried about shifting weight around. We are moving our fridge from the outer wall to a wall toward the center. Will this be a problem? The fridge is a french door with freezer on bottom, our current fridge is the original from factory.

Plus adding heavier cabinets. Our counter-tops will be Wilsonart HD Laminate. I am sure we will be ok, but am a little worried now.

After our gut job today we are afraid to do too much...lol, but we are level, we checked several places and after 16 years we are completely level from center to outer walls anyway. Not sure how to check from end to end.
ponch37300

You will be fine moving a fridge and putting new cabinets and countertops in. Cabinets aren't that heavy and the weight is usually spread out. A fridge is heavy when loaded but unless the floor is in bad shape due to a water leak or something it should be fine.

My comment about transferring weight in the other thread was about supporting a roof covered in snow which is extremely heavy and I was just saying to be sure that weight is transferred down to solid ground correctly. Example being if you just put a header in and then a couple of 2x4s down to the subfloor. If the 2x4s are only sitting on some particle board subfloor there is a good chance they will push threw the subfloor since it would be a lot of weight with a small footprint. Just have to take things like that into consideration when changing things. Pretty much anything can be done, just have to figure out how to do it right!
DaleM

Not sure what your plans are for flooring in the kitchen you have gutted, but it might not be a bad idea to deck over the entire floor area with either 5/8" or 3/4" plywood, CDX or BC, depending on final flooring material.
remodelgirl

We are replacing the floor with a 3/4 inch ply all the way through the kitchen and dining and then putting 1/8 overlay in the living area (replaced flooring here a few years back). We need to repair some damaged floor next to the water heater--basically why we decided to reno the kitchen in the first place will have to tear out a couple cabinets to replace the floor. We know there is damage just not sure how much so we saved $1500 to fix this problem sure hope it is enough. I'm afraid to report to insurance they might drop me, it is hard to get Manufactured home insurance.
jimncheryl

Refridgerator Floor 016.jpg
We had to replace the floor around the refer. the P/B gave out to a water leak (not Planned for).
Our refer. weighted in at about 400 lbs. loaded. That is 100 lbs per roller, the roller has a footprint of about 3.5 sqr". This design had no support under the refer. just the cheap P/B.
I replaced it with 3/4" OSB with waterproof glue from H/D. I had to install some extra support and extra floor joist. (The home is a 2005 model)
We sealed it with slow penetrating epoxy. We put down the vinyl floor and I also put a piece of 3/16" of aluminum sheet under the refer.
I could park my Tahoe on it safely now!
The reason I went with the OSB, I had a few pieces laying around outside through at least to winters , plenty of rain and sun with many day over 100 ' and the stuff did just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimncheryl

Sorry the pic's did not post in the order I thought I put them and also some of the text is missing.
It all looked good in the review I seem to have an ongoing problem posting pics. hopefully I will get it sorted out.
Again sorry for that
Jim
remodelgirl

Wow that looks like a lot of work. We are thinking we have to replace three full boards and also may have to pull two walls and rebuild them to make everything secure and stable again. Not sure how the floor joist are fending, they feel stable. After pulling open the marriage wall between our dining and kitchen and rebuilding that, sure can't imagine how much work the floor job will be, definitely dreading the work. Luckily I have two boys who are so very eager to helps us out....not!

Will post pics of our work along the way.