Tub faucet repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AbbottsManor

Well my 23 year old tub faucet has started to drip.
Is there a way to repair this type of faucet or is it a lost cause?
faucet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaleM

Replace it, they are not that expensive. 23 years it's way past it's useful life!!
UmpJJ

There are LOTS of DIY videos on faucet repair on Youtube. Have at it!

UmpJJ
Steve-WA

That's one of those chintzy faucets that just has screw-down plastic nuts behind the wall, just like a regular kitchen faucet. *If* you have access behind the wall, you can replace the whole thing for like $25.

And by chintzy, I mean MH - specific.
Last edited by Steve-WA on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greg S

Fixing a faucet that old is like taking a old dog to the vet when it gets sick, it's a waste of both time and money. Just put it out of it's misery.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
countrydan

I respectfully dsagree.

You can remove the plastic handles and then you should be able to remove the cartridges under the handle that control the water and simply replace those. Of course shut off the water and drain the residual pressure then attempt this. If you damage anything then replace the whole unit otherwise you most likely have brass cartridges that are good quality and easy to remove and replace..

If your brand is a Phoenix like mine, there's easy directions on their website. My rebuild pairs in each faucet cost me $11 and change :)
Greg

Price it both ways if you can find the parts, then you decide what works best for you.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I don't think this faucet has a cartridge. It looks like a plastic MH faucet. I replace these with Moen Alders or Caldwells, but this usually requires adding some wood to secure the faucet. For DIY, you could just buy another MH faucet like this. They will easily attach with big plastic nuts around the pipe connections tightening to the thickness of paneling. This makes installing one that is connected in the water heater compartment, right next to the water heater possible.

This is not a great faucet, but it is really cheap (like $30) and should last a min 10 years. I have customers cussing these things when I replace them and they are 30-40 years old! YMMV
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
AbbottsManor

Never mind, it stopped dripping! Here's to another 23 years lol.
I'm actually getting estimates together to replace the tub with a shower pan, so it doesn't have to last that much longer.

Thanks for all the replies!

Chris