What is the meter mounted on the mobile home???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lisamaechilders

Forgive me if this seems life a dumb question but.... I just purchased an older mobile home (a fixer-upper) I have what appears to be 2 electric meters. 1 electric meter that is mounted on a post about 4 feet from the house. I am pretty sure this actually belongs to the electric company and is the one we all love and hate. BUT then there is an additional meter mounted on the side of the mobile home towards the back of the house.
Rear MeterWF.jpg
There is a label underneath.
Rear Meter LabelWF.jpg
And then towards the front of the house adjacent to the AC unit is a combination unit. A cut-off switch for the unit and another what appears to be a meter with a box on the front. The photo shows the meter and on the right a close-up of the label
AC Power Unit_2.jpg
Duke Energy is the power company we use. The MH is in a park and the neighbors tell me it has been here since the beginning so....

Comments, thoughts or definite answers are appreciated.
Regards and blessings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
calderhill

Yeah, number of possibilities. Are they all working? I'm sure there has been a change in electric companies serving the area and they may have just abandoned one of the meters. The one with the box on the front looks like a electric company controller to turn the AC on/off to save energy. You have now entered the old trailer twilight zone.
This is only the beginning of your journey.
Greg

Hi & welcome. In many areas Mobile homes are set up on what is called a temporary service. that is when the meter & disconnect box is mounted on a pole near the home. I don't think I have ever seen a meter mounted to a mobile home. It may be a meter that a prior owner used to check against the power company's meter, or possibly they had a solar or wind system and sold back to the power company.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lisamaechilders

comments.... Don't know if they are working... just got it haven't had the electric turned on yet. I know who the previous owners were. No solar no wind, trust me no selling back to the power company. That's all out. Duke Energy owns the lake and all the power plants here on the lake. They have been the power company in this town since the beginning of recorded history.
The real meter is mounted on a pole a few feet away.

Yes the journey begins.....
After peeling away the layer of pine needles from the roof, I found the shingles completely disintegrated.
After peeling away the original carpeting from 1987, I found the floors swollen and warped.
After peeling away the 1980's fake tile rose decorated fiberboard panels from the walls in the bathroom, I found the bathtub, which was flanged, had been installed overtop of the moldy and disintegrating sheetrock
After peeling away every single cabinet in the kitchen..... I found underneath all the neglect and dirt and mold and rot....... a pretty decent frame with lots of potential and low cost living.
All in all..... its a bit of work (and I know there will days when I regret my decision) but its really not that bad. and I will be a frequent visitor here for a while....
It seems like I am not the first to venture this path and I see lots of people posting their adventures and experiences along with photos.
I suggest a blog section for those of us who want to record this journey and share it with others. I would love to see a section were I can go and see what others have learned and accomplished.

I'll be back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Well, you are right, MANY here have been in your shoes. I personally did a total renovation for our daughter as well as many upgrades in our own home.

I can say that you can do a search on a topic. It will give you posts on the subject, or when you have questions just ask.

I do see a bar code on the meter on the home and it is digital, that would tell me that it is fairly new. I would ask when they turn the power back on.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

@calderhill - "This is only the beginning of your journey."
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Norm Frechette

the meter on the back of the house looks like it is inoperable as there is no wire connected to it
ttiiggy

What is inside the wall behind the meter?
Electric panel? Water pipes?