Vapor Barrier Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cmanningjr

What's the best method for installing a vapor barrier on the ground under a doublewide?? Should the edges be taped??

Does a vapor barrier help with heating and cooling??
Greg

Really all a vapor barrier is for is to help prevent moisture from the ground. If you have excessive moisture, the probability of a mold problem is greatly increased. you can tape the edges if you want, but just overlapping them should work fine.

For help with heating/cooling you may want to think about insulating the skirting.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaleM

Where do you live and what is under your home? If you are on a full slab then I wouldn't bother. Also check on the type of underbelly material you have. If the newer webbed plastic wrap I wouldn't bother with a vapor barrier.
cmanningjr

I live in Alabama and the doublewide is on dirt. I recently had a heat pump installed and a vapor barrier was part of the deal on installing it. Last week I had a water line freeze and bust so I got to check out the work they did while I was under there. I'm not exactly pleased. I'll try to get
Some pictures of so y'all can see what I'm talking about. The way it's done, I really don't see any point in it being there.. I let the company know I wasn't happy with it. Due to bad weather we've had, I haven't heard back from them..
Greg

Depending on where the line that froze was, it may not be there fault. If it was the main supply line from the ground, You can really only blame the cold.

If they cut into the belly and the line that froze was there, than I think blame can be placed.

Greg
cmanningjr

I wasn't trying to blame them for the water line.. I just noticed how shoddy (in my opinion) the vapor barrier was installed. I was just wondering how they were "supposed" to be installed..
Sorry for the confusion..

Yeah, the water pipe was due to below freezing weather for 3 days.. :(
It's all better now. I replaced all the 20 year old thin wall pvc today. Had a couple of leaks I'm the yard this past year. It was time....
Greg

it really doesn't have to look good to be effective. Once the home is in place it is hard to get plastic to lay flat when piers& waterlines are in the way.

Greg
JD
Site Admin

I totally agree with Greg's last statement. As long as the ground is covered and there is a good overlap on the sections of plastic, it will perform as desired. But sloppy careless work does show the level of professionalism and pride that the worker and thus their supervisors have in their work. My dad was a chef. He like saying "That guy is a magician. Turns good food into crap without eating it."

That being said, I have never seen ground cover plastic taped.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
cmanningjr

Thanks guys, I contacted the company and they admitted to the poor installation. They are supposed to come back out Tuesday and fix it along with some other things that's not up to par. It's sad how there's no pride in people's work anymore..