Drywall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jimncheryl

I have all the plumbing issues taken care of, now to finish the drywall damage caused by the plumbing.
We have a 2005 model, so it's not that old. I have found the drywall to be installed with staples aprox. 2.5 inches long and also no tape at the seems, just mud. I believe that is why we have so many cracks.

I did some research and found that cracks in the drywall that run vertical or horizontal are caused by poor craftsmanship and cracks that run off at an angle are from the home settling. This seemed to be true of the Hardy panel on the exterior also.

My question is, are all mobile homes built like this ?
My plan is to scrape the surface install drywall screws tape mud and re-texture.

Thanks
Jim
Greg

The majority of homes are built that way. The sheets are usually just stapled, a few are stapled & glued then a cover strip stapled at the seam. You need to remember that on a production line, time is money.

You should not have any problems do what you plan. But I would check and relevel the home if needed before you do the work, if not the work could be off and you run the risk of cracks should you relevel later.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jimncheryl

Thanks Greg;

We had our house re leveled last summer, the tech said it wasn't bad, only a little off.
No cover over the seems. All of the cracks are at seems.

They even used staples on the bottom of the balusters in the railing around the deck, steel staples and moisture do not mix, several of the balusters rotted off at the bottom from rusty staples. Yes just common fir.

We bought this as second owners and as is, the original owner paid 186,000 for it in late 2005 and only lived in it off and on till we purchased it in 2010.

Your point time is money, the problem with that is I will never buy from this co. and I will spread the word with everyone we talk to. I know for sure I have cost them at least 2 sales just by telling the truth. They do not have a good reputation in this park or any other in this area.

I describe their approach " tripping over dollars to pick up dimes".

Anyway it has been a learning experience for sure

I come from the marine field and apply many of the techniques on these repairs.

Thanks for the help
Jim
ponch37300

If you do any work or repairs on MHs you will learn to hate staples real quick! The one place they don't cut corners is in the amount of staples they shoot into these things. Replacing drywall or carpet and you will be pulling hundreds if not thousand of staples.
Greg

I'm not sure where you are, but around here $186k will buy a VERY nice home with plenty of land!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jimncheryl

Greg
We live in Northern California, north of Sacramento about 60 miles.
The home is 1750 sqf 3 bdrm 2 bath, large 2 car garage all the normal stuff jetted tub upgraded
A\C extra large lot which is a lot of work to maintain,, the lot is in a senior park so we have space rent.
We did not pay that for it, our cost was 50,000
jimncheryl

New Houses 030 (800x600).jpg
Here is a picture the day we purchased it July of 2010
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD
Site Admin

I realize we are talking about mobile homes, but still, sheetrock is sheetrock. You wouldn't find untaped seams in the cheapest of houses. The thing that really gets to me is when instead of cutting sheetrock to surround the top of a door or corner of the window, they stick a full height sheet beside the door or window and piece in the top. Never a chance for those walls. Please consider this when rocking your own walls.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg S

If seams are not taped you are guaranteed to get cracks. The purpose of the tape is to prevent cracks in plaster the same as the paper on the drywall prevents cracks.
You are on track to improve the entire home except for your plan to re-texture the walls. Unless this is something that is standard practice where you are the only purpose of texturing walls is to cover shoddy drywall mud work. If you want the appearance of professional dry walling forget the texture cover-up. When putting the effort into upgrading do not repeat the practices of low quality mobile home builders with their practice of cheap cover-ups. It doesn’t have to look like a mobile home just because it is one.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
jimncheryl

Not sure what you mean.
My plans are to tape the cracks and the drywall seams that I had to replace because of plumbing leaks.
The texture will match the existing walls.
All the walls are textured as is all the drywall in these homes and also site built homes, the only walls that do not have texture are walls that have been wallpapered.

I have never seen a plane finish on drywall, textureing is norm around here.
Greg S

I have never seen textured walls except in mobiles.
What is the point in texturing drywall. It can't be for the appearance.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
calderhill

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take you to task, Greg S. Many new houses, not mobile homes, and especially high end houses are built with textured walls and ceilings. Perhaps you are picturing the very common thick, texturing used, as you described, to cover cracks, dents, whatever. I owned a house in Colorado that I bought because of the absolutely artistic and beautiful texturing of the walls and ceiling. This was done when the house was built not after the fact. In fact, whole tracts of new houses are now built with spray-on textured walls, although in these cases, I think it is because the builders don't want to pay for professional drywallers.
jimncheryl

The only reasons not to texture the walls, is if you plan on wallpaper or vinyl or other type of wall covering.
I have seen drywall painted with out texture and it does not look as good. There are many types of texturing available now days. There are even some firms that specialize in that field.
Jim
Greg S

Where I live the only thing that is textured is the ceilings (popcorn) and that is only done by contractors to save money on proper mudding of the seams. It's also the first thing removed when renovating. (correction- Greek or Italian styled homes here often have textured walls.)
Textured walls were popular back when walls were plaster over lath (very rough) but that is not done here over drywall.
Texturing must be an American style preferance although I have watched many American based how to, decorating and reno showes where textured walls are a "must go" item to modernise a reno. I have yet to see any decorating show where the designer has added texture to anything.

Too each their own.
ponch37300

Greg S, it must be a location thing because around here texture is huge. Has really become popular in the last 10 or so years. Anything from orange peel, knock down, skip trowel, etc. When done right it looks nice. NOBODY around here does popcorn, that has been out for 10-20 years now. Probably just different styles in different locations. Smooth drywall also looks nice when done right but level 5 finish is pretty expensive.