Hot water heater about to break?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

astegall1978

I have a 40 gal electric hot water heater, I had to replace it in 2005 or 06, cause it busted so to speak. Now this one is not heating enough water. I am running out of water REALLY QUICK... Its noticeable. My question is... I guess I need to buy a new one right or can that be fixed? I have never drained it like I was suppose to once a year. how do I drain it to get it out? I have read that it might clog up cause of junk in the bottom? Thanks so much for any input.

Allen
Greg

I would bet that you have a bad bottom element. Check that first before you condemn the heater.

You can google testing & replacing water heater elements for advice. Not a hard job usually, Just working in a confined space.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/how_to_ ... ter_heater

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jpingram5

I'm with Greg on that one. Sure sounds like the bottom element is caked up and on its way out. It's not really that tough of a job to change. Lowes/Homedepot and maybe even lower hardware stores sell elements & the tool needed to remove them.

You should need either a 3500 or 4500 watt element. Check with your model water heater. Before messing with it make sure you have the circuit breaker off. 30 AMPS will shake you pretty good. Then get yourself a "Water Heater Socket", which is commonly a 1-1/2" socket. Some sell them to adapt to ratchet but usually they are long and have two holes on the end so you can stick a screwdriver through to turn it. There should be a drain valve on the bottom somewhere that you can hook a garden hose up to and drain it down. Now make sure you have the water heater isolated before draining it so it cannot fill up.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
DaleM

Another thing you can do if you have "crappy" water is install a full flow ball valve on the drain of the water heater. Plumb that down and out then flush regularly, once a month maybe. Larger pieces of sediment can get through it. The stock drain valve is quite restrictive. Put a "sand hog" lower element in, those can run completely buried in sediment.
Greg

I ran a "sand hog" on one. You are right they don't burn out, But when you see the electric bill when they TRY to heat through a sediment build up you will wish it did.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."