Dining Room Flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg

Steve, I think you are one of the few still around that remember Tom! I wish I could find some of the old posts from the original forum, He had a lot of great posts. I can still remember when he got himself locked outside with a frozen door.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve S.

LOL, I had forgotten about that episode with Tom until you mentioned it...he certainly helped me with some of his informative posts. RIP Tom.
Started cutting some of the old carpeting loose from the walls just to check on the condition of the PB subfloor. 1987Commodore was right on...the lumps under the carpeting were simply piles of deteriorated padding which looked like sawdust...funny how it forms piles under the carpeting. Hard to tell where the padding ends and the PB begins in some spots. I'm sure I'll be patching some of the floor near my front door, as I had a door frame leak several years ago when a hurricane hit here :( .
asa

We just got done installing about 750 sq ft of the allure ultra. Parts were hard, parts were easy. We certainly got better as we went. One key things it to keep looking over your work when you start a new row, because you can't go back. You need to fix anything before you start the next row. The gap around the edges is only required to be 1/8".

Also, open all your boxes up first and separate out the patters. We went with the clear cherry and there were only 4 designs. The designs were not evenly spaced out in the boxes. We came across a few boxes that had 6 out of 8 planks the same design.

Steve S.

Thanks for your experience with this product Asa, I'm looking forward to installing mine this spring. I have all the old carpet and padding removed now...I just have to lightly sand the particle board (Novadecking...is this stuff really particleboard?). You are doing a very nice job with your reno project...I like your corrugated metal ceilings.
I don't have very good climate control in my home (Allure recommends temperatures between 55-85*F). Sometimes my MH can get as low as 45* during the winter and well over 90* in the summer...I hope the Allure flooring can hold up to these extremes.