Plastic or Metal Part 2

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jimncheryl

First off I want to thank everyone for a free education very, very helpful.

I think the question has been answered .
Plastic is out of the question period.

I still don't understand how to remove the proper Pex fittings, if I cut the crimp ring off , how is it possible to pull the tube off of the barbed fitting especially in tight quarters ??

I have spent over $200 on Sharkebite brass fittings including a few spares if I need them.

If the manufacturer had used the correct Pex fittings in the first place,they would not have such a bad reputation. The are many more problems with these homes that are caused by trying to save money, we all know as consumers that it cost them more in the long run.

Later I will post how I did emergency repair on a water soaked particle board sub floor and then the final repair.

Thanks again
Jim and Cheryl
calderhill

I worked as a plumber when in HS so I know a bit about plumbing. There was no PEX back then so my trailer work was a new adventure. The problems jumped out at me from the get-go. I went the el-cheapo route. No Sharkbite or crimp. "Clinch" is my game. Everything much less expensive and does the job. Reasonably easy to remove but you still need to work "what if". That means a little extra pex in case you need to cut the whole mess off or you need the space to get the crimper/clincher in there. The correct fittings are all out there to do anything I came across so I never had the urge to use any of the incredible Sharkbite works of art I've seen and dismantled.. Since I have a bunch of plumbing experience let me say, pex would be my last choice for plumbing work. In closing, the answer is practice, practice, practice :mrgreen:
Greg

Here is a basic you tube video on PEX fitting removal.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."