re-leveling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hello all,
This one should be brief....
How much does it typically cost to have a home re-leveled? Mine is a '93 Fleetwood double-wide on block piers with wood wedges.
I guess this may be regional- I'm in California, San Francisco bay area.
Thanks,
Steven
Greg

For the most part it is difficult at best to give prices here, a lot depends on your location, since we have members all over the world. Perhaps someone is near you, (JD is out your way he may add to this) that can give you an idea. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Hi Steven,

I am about 3 hours from you. But cost of living difference is quite a bit different. Here in Fresno, CA contractors here are getting $300 to $500 depending on which contractor is doing the work, the ease of access under the home. Some contractors I know of are in and out in 1-2 hours and I question the accuracy of their work.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi Steven,

I'm about 4 hours East of you in the Reno/Sparks area of Nevada. Much drier up here. A good relevel up here costs about $700 for a double wide on blocks piers.

That's still a small price to pay before renovating a home! It's also a small price to pay to pay to know that further damage won't occur in your home.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
altasnowman

Hi, Like everyone says as we all live in different locals your price will vary. I will charge a minimum of 700+ materials and spend up to 6 hours on a home. I live in Alberta and alot of people don't understand mobile/manufactured homes. just my 2bits worth.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Susan

Steven,

I am right in between Maureen and JD and just a bit north of you (in the Napa Valley). I did some checking recently and got 3 quotes, $750 - $1,100 for a 24x60 double wide. Only one of them used the water level system. 2 places said they could do it in 2 hours or less, the other one said it would depend on what was needed (the water-level guy).

Susan
JD
Site Admin

Wow, I am in the wrong area! I could raise my prices, but I wouldn't get any work. We do a full service relevel where we include inspections, tighten outriggers and bolts as needed, check and adjust doors and windows when we are done. Relevels takes us 4-6 hours usually. Our price does not include replacing or adding piers and pads or repairs to plumbing leaks we find, but I think that is expected. So we do have that opportunity for upcharge, but that is only if the customer wants it. I find homes where piers are 8-10 feet apart. We tell the customer they should be 5' oc, but when it is on an old single wide that has been set for 20 years, I also tell them that logic says you won't be any worse off than you were before if you don't change them. We run into a lot of fixed income people where an extra $700 to $1000+ charge is out of the question.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

Wow!
Thanks for all the responses. I figured it would depend on area. How feasible would it be to do it your self. I saw that there is a kit available on this sight. Has any body used it? The front part of my home is on a concrete pad, but apparently the pad was put in to accommodate a 40 footer and not my 60 footer. No problems right now, but I suspect eventually the back will start to sag.
Thanks,
Steven
JD
Site Admin

Hi Steven,

I would say that a relevel could be a DIY project if you don't mind getting dirty and meeting the local bugs and possibly wildlife. Follow the directions on the leveling kit and be extra safe. Only move the home in small amounts, never leave any part of your body under the metal beams, and always have someone with you on the job site while performing a relevel. Coveralls and kneepads help a lot.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Maureen

Hey JD!

I have always said that I'd wish that you lived closer to me LOL! We'd have both made out! Plus you'd be really close to some real good fishin'

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

Next time I go to Eagle Lake I will certainly give you a call! Fall is a good time for the trout there. Not the best weather, but that is when the bruisers are out feeding up.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

altasnowman

Hi, Doing a relevel as a DYI is a good idea and if you use the relevel kit that Mark sells here and follow the instructions you should be fine. Just remember to have a second person to help you, and as far as those that can not afford my rates because they are on fixed income I always consider their income and in some cases i have done the work probono.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......

Once again, thanks for the replies. I've been under my place before working on the ducts. While there I checked to make sure all the piers were upright but did not check them out in detail (wedges loose/odd gaps) I think I will be getting the knee-pads out again this weekend and have a closer look.
Steven
Harry

Hi Steven

You've rec'd some good info above. I just wanted to add if after checking you find you need to relevel you'll need 4 maybe 6 20ton jacks, jack plates and timbers. And don't forget you may also need to do some tie-down strap maintenance.

Releveling is covered in Marks Manual Chapter 21.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?