I want a deck!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Where do I look to get a good deck built. Do I call a regualr contractor? I would not have the patience or the ability with a hammer to do it! I am in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
archive

Hi,

You can create your own plans or you can go to Lowe's website and look at some of there plans, there are several other sites that can give you plan ideas as well.

The most important thing about building a deck for a MH is to make sure that it is free standing...in other words no part of the structure is attached to your home.

You should probably get in contact with your local codes office and see what if any requirements they have, and you will probably need a permit to build.

Good luck,

~Yanita~8-)
archive

If you don't have a Lowes near you, most home centers & lumber yards offer plans. If you search the internet I'm sure you can find plans also. As Yanita said make it free standing and check codes. Greg
archive

Hi tprkevin,

If you don't have the ability or time to build your own deck, then you need to look for a contractor that is familiar with our homes! Like Yanita and Greg mentioned, the deck needs to be free standing.

Maureen 8-)
archive

I want temperatures above 0:-D
archive

This is one month I really do not want to see my utility bill.
archive

We used to have a deck. You really need to maintain it if you want it to last. I mean power wash, and stain every year. Its a pain, but it does look nice afterwards. However we now have a concrete patio that only needs to be swept off every now and then. Consider the maintenance before you get a deck.
archive

tprkevin building a deck needn't be overly complicated or all that time consuming. I've built several and here's a few tips. First make sure you know and understand the building codes in your area. Find out if you need a building permit. Sketch out the layout..how wide and how long? How high above ground? Avoid some headaches and make the "floor-joists" 16in. on center..not 24in.! Todays pressure treated lumber requires special screws..the days of using plain galv. screws are gone. Don't nail anything..screws can be backed out and the lumber reused in case of a boo-boo. Make the dimensions of your deck fit the dimensions of commonly available lumber..it saves waste and cutting time. Don't use those 5/4 decking boards. Use 2X6 treated lumber for the decking boards. They last longer, don't split/crack and require less maintenence. Don't leave any space between the decking boards..they'll shrink and allow a gap in 2 months. My front deck/porch (10ft. X 12ft.) took about 6 hours to build with 3 guys, 1 circular saw, 2 Dewalt Cordless Drill-Drivers and 1 screwgun. (a corded 3/8ths. drill works fine) It's been there about 10 years and all I've done is spray it down with common household bleach in a tank type sprayer every few years..hose it off with a pressure washer from time to time. Never had to apply sealer or stain of any kind. I used the plastic lattice between the handrails and the decking to avoid splinters for the grandkids. Total cost at the time was under $200.00 for material...+ beer and a bar-b-que for the help. Just my thoughts...Audie! :)
archive

I agree with everything Audie said!!!

The one mistake that I did make was allowing spaces between each pressure treated board.... like I was told to do! Well, I will be rebuilding that deck this Summer! Yep, it's shrunk down so much that a stiletto heel can't walk on the deck. Not that I wear them anymore, but ya gotta think of safety for all!

Now, it's not a real big deal at all, cause I decided I didn't like the steps into the house, so I want to redo those also. I used the new deck screws, even those things rust also. It will take an hour to dismantle the steps and the deck boards. Rip another board, so there are no spaces. The new board will be placed up against the house. Any shrinkage in that board won't be noticed. I want full steps covering that area.

I'm really hoping to have time for railing on this deck and the full deck also this year!

Maureen 8-)