Help Please - bathtub faucet / shower head

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CountryLiving34

Hello my friends! I need some advice again please. I live in a 16 year old mobile home. The bathtub faucet and shower head need replacing. My question is can I do this myself or do I need to pay someone to do the installation?
Here is what I have now in the bathroom.
Image.
Here is what I want installed. Image

I have more questions please. Is the 8" measured from center knob to center knob? I want to make sure I am ordering the right thing. The old faucet has this little rod on the top that you pull up to divert the water from the faucet to the shower head. Is there a name for this thing? If so, what is it called? Take a look at the one I want to order online from the mobile home repair parts store. Will this work? I went and searched some youTube videos for the installation. Please take a quick look at this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpbGwfQbyQ

The guy in the video says that you will need to access from the back. I don't see any access panel and no way to access from the back unless you have to tear into the wall. I am so confused after watching this video. Can this be done from the front? If yes, could someone here briefly describe what is involved. If I can't do it or do not want to do it, how much would you pay to have someone else do it? Should I call a professional plumber or is it ok to try to get the job done cheaper by trying to find someone on Craigslist? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
countrydan

8" is measured from behind but often center to center knob. you cannot replace this from the front you may need to remove a panel to get access to the back. theres 2 nuts that hold the fixture to the tub wall. it is called a diverter valve.

why are you replacing these? you can just turn off the water, relieve pressure, and replace the cartridges just so you know...
Last edited by countrydan on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountryLiving34

Hi countrydan, thanks for your reply.
countrydan wrote:
why are you replacing these? you can just turn off the water, relieve pressure, and replace the cartridges just so you know...
I don't understand. What do you mean by cartridges ?
you cannot replace this from the front you may need to remove a panel to get access to the back. theres 2 nuts that hold the fixture to the tub wall.
How do you know where to gain access? Do you have to cut into the wall on the side? Maybe, there is a way to access the back from the adjacent bedroom, IDK.
countrydan

Cartridges are under the handles/levers and can be accessed by popping the plastic cap off the handles with a gentle pry with a screwdriver. Once the cap is off this will allow you to take a Phillips screwdriver and loosen the set screws that hold both handles on. Most likely you will have brass cartridges that are 13bux for the pair and can be replaced pretty easily. If you have Phoenix brand faucets their websit is very user friendly and easy to follow their directions.. Phoenixfaucets.com

The cartridges are what actually allow the water to flow via turning the handles/levers. If your faucet is like mine some are dripping therefore the cartridges need replacement and you don't have to replace the whole assembly that's already installed.

I have removed the panel (1/4" drywall with the vinyl coating) by gently removing the trim piece and then removing the staples so the whole wall piece comes out without breaking..
CountryLiving34

Ok, that is what I will do then (replace the cartridges). It is too much trouble trying to replace the entitre assembly without easy access to the rear. I really don't see a way to access unless you cut the drywall after removing the trim I think.

Another question Dan. Will the shower head just screw off from the front? My old one looks dingy. I would like to replace that. Thanks again for your reply. It was much appreciated. :D

Is there anything you can buy to polish up the existing chrome to make everything look shiny and new?
countrydan

The shower head does just unscrew from the front but you have to hold the small pipe that's coming out from the wall (most likely plastic) very carefully so it doesn't break or spin with the head itself. If you look at new shower heads you'll see where they screw onto the piece.

My wife uses scrubbing bubbles I think?? dont really know but whatever she uses works great. she keeps the chemical from going into the drain with paper towels... If you're on a septic system you want to be careful of what goes down your drains.
CountryLiving34

Ok Dan, thanks so much for your response. Hope you have a great weekend my friend. You really helped me out. :D
countrydan

You're welcome and you have a nice weekend too. Good luck with the projects.
Greg

USUALLY the panel behind the faucet (It may be in the next room) is just stapled in place. If you carefully remove the seam cover strips & the top molding you can remove the panel and get to the faucet. when you are done just use a few sheetrock screws.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."