Water Heater Help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Last night taking my shower, it quickly became obvious something was wrong. The water was cold. It was late and dark outside, so I didn't want to go check it (for what, I have no idea). So I called a plumber this morning. Maybe tomorrow, he can get here. AHHH!
Yes, the water heater is 30+ years old, but so am I. It owes me nothing.
My question is about the water in it and leaking. About a foot up from the bottom is a thing where I guess a hose could go. It's dripping from there. I put a bucket to catch the drips. Should I turn off the gas or water to the trailer? Should the pressure be released? Should I notify anyone or should I evacuate?
I've never had any experience with a water heater and other than calling the plumber, I have no idea what to do. Any help or directions would be really helpful.
Thanks,
Dave
calderhill

The drain is a foot up from the tank bottom? If it was electric I would say check the breaker. Then hook up a hose and turn the drain on and off a few times as they tend to get flakey just sitting there doing nothing for decades. Yes, i would turn off the gas at this point and wait for the pro. No, it's not going to explode IF the relief valve is working.
1987Commodore

There should be a gas shut off near the water heater; just turn that off, or turn the temp control on the heater to off. There's no need to turn off the gas or water to the whole home. If you have a separate water shut off to the wh, you can turn that off if the leak is bad enough.
Greg

If it's just a drip, you can contain it with a bucket to prevent any damage to the floor. As was said I would shut the gas off to the heater and if there is a separate water valve for the heater shut that off. After 30 years I would say it's time to replace it. If you are going to replace it with a gas unit hang on for sticker shock. A M.H. approved unit will usually start around $600, If you have space in the electric panel for a breaker an Electric unit starts around $200.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
opinion free

Thanks to all for the instructions. I know less than nothing about water heaters, other than they can explode. Fortunately, that didn't occur.
Sticker shock is an underestimate. The total for a brand spanking new, energy efficient, 40 gallon, gas fired... water heater with 'custom' installation was $1300 plus tip.

***IMPORTANT NOTICE***: The gas was turned off, for the install. The pilot light in the oven, required manual re-lighting. I didn't know that. The trailer stinking of gas, fearing a gas leak and imminent death, I called for help. Rightly so, irritated emergency response teams just left. Lesson: if gas is turned off, make sure to check all gas appliances that have a pilot light.

Dave
mh_doni49

The plumber should have lit the pilot or AT LEAST told you it needed done.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
Greg S

Assuming the plumber had been informed by the homeowner that they had a gas stove.
If they knew they most likely would have re lit it for the customer out of courtesy.
Having been a repair tech in the past I have learned that it is impossible to be proactive or responsible for every aspect of a customer home.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
mh_doni49

I misread the warning. I thought the pilot in the WH didn't get lit. I just went back reread the message after seeing Greg's reply.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
opinion free

I understand a plumber or technician can't be 'proactive' regarding all possible issues surrounding a job. We're not taking about a 'wet paint' sign here, we are talking about GAS. The reason I hired a professional plumber was for their skills and knowledge. A plumber working on a gas hot water heater, SHOULD KNOW to ask, if the homeowner has another gas appliance. I paid a top shelf price and should have received top shelf service. I was friendly, polite, provided electrical tape, zip ties, drill bits, bottled water and helped lift the new heater into place.

As a pharmacist, I take nonsense and crap from the public all day. I have a never ending supply of customer demands and UNREALISTIC expectations to grind my ax with. This wasn't a silly, vanity issue. An unchecked, free flowing gas line, within my trailer, isn't an unrealistic afterthought. This had the potential for serious consequences. I had police and firemen here as a result of the professional plumber's oversight.

I felt so strongly about the situation, I wanted to share my experience as a warning to others. TRUE PROFESSIONALS should be shocked at such a glaring, obvious and potentially fatal oversight. Not issue some passive aggressive, it's not the technicians fault excuse.
Everyday I get to see the $3 an hour cashiers at WalMart attacked for not knowing to triple bag someone's groceries. A gas leak is most certainly not one of those situations.
Spydrweb1977

Most newer gas stoves don't use standing pilots anymore.. maybe it's time to upgrade that as well.
UmpJJ

Hmm...$1300 divided by 30 years. That's about $43/year. Sounds like a fair price. Let's hope you get 30 years out of the new one!

UmpJJ