Washe shaking the whole house

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I just moved into my mom`s old mobile home. The floor was rotten underneath where the washer and dryer were. I had a guy replace the flooring there. Anyhow the washer now is shaking the entire house when it is in spin cycle. It did not do that in the other mobile home I lived in so I know there is nothing wrong with the washer. I got the level out and the washer is level on all sides. I guess my question is what do I do to remedy this? I will have to hire someone to come back in and fix this so most likely will have to hire a handyman to do the work as I can not do it my self.
Norm Frechette

my washer shakes every once in a while because the load inside may be a little off balance. nothing for me to worry about.

does it happen with every load or just now and then?
terrifromohio

No its every load now here since I moved. It did not do this before. The woman that cuts my hair said maybe some type of spring came loose that hold the agitator but I can`t figure out how to get the back of it off and I am afraid to mess with it for fear of messing it up.
Greg S

The washer is definitely the source of the problem. Something has changed in the washer during the move and will need to be repaired.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

A FEW things have changed. First, the washer was moved. Second the washer was placed in a different home. Third, the floor was changed.

I would almost bet that the HOME is where the problem is, not the washer. I would check under the area of the washer, you may need to add a pier for extra support. In our home the washer (front load) used make the whole place a paint shaker. Since we move the home and it is on below frost line piers you can hardly feel it. Since you just moved into the home and the problem started as soon as you moved I would blame the home. Mark has washer vibration pads in the site's store that may help.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mh_doni49

The washer could simply be off balance too. When you relocate a washer, you need to adjust the feet to make it level.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
opinion free

When I bought my trailer, it didn't come with a washer/dryer so I had to get one. I went to Home Depot and certain washers actually had mobile home ratings (simple ratings of yes or no, for use in a mobile home). Even still, my front loader, if used on it's full spin setting, shakes the floor in the laundry area. Fortunately, the washer has 3 spin strength settings. When used on either of the 2 lower settings the floor shaking doesn't occur.
If you search on eBay, they sell a 4 pack of washer blocks for washing machines. They are 2x2 rubber blocks that sit under the four feet of the washer and do a great job of absorbing the vibrations generated by the washer. A bit of a pain in the arse getting them under the washers feet by yourself, but not hard to do with a helper.
Good luck.
terrifromohio

Yes I am going to try the rubber blocks first as that is the cheapest alternative to start. The make ones that the feet sit down in and they make just ones that the washer feet sit on. I am not sure which ones to buy.