I fixed me electrical problem...so happy now.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

SoFlorida

HouseMedic wrote:The only outlet tester that is out there just checks to see if you have the ground and the hot and neutral wires in the right places. Ground to Green, White to silver (Neutral) and Black to black (Hot) It will not tell you if there is something that is bad unless it is not working at all.

Ron
There is one that give you a digital readout, that was the one I was thinking to get.
SoFlorida

HouseMedic wrote:The only outlet tester that is out there just checks to see if you have the ground and the hot and neutral wires in the right places. Ground to Green, White to silver (Neutral) and Black to black (Hot) It will not tell you if there is something that is bad unless it is not working at all.

Ron
I just saw I can get one for less than $10 that has 3 lights that tell me if it's working or not, that's all I need for now.
ponch37300

SoFlorida wrote:

Ron
There is one that give you a digital readout, that was the one I was thinking to get.
Doesn't matter if it's digital or just the 5 dollar one with the lights on it like housemedic was saying it won't tell you if there is a bad connection somewhere. A tester like those will say it's good even if the wire is just barely touching. Now plug something in with a high load like an AC unit and you can draw enough current where that wire barely touching will arc and create a spark and cause a fire.

If one outlet was backstabbed they most likely all are. Outlets are cheap and now that you know how to do them I would replace them all and take a look at the wiring. Everything may look great on the outside and may pass those little testers but who knows what it looks like behind the cover.

I know I might sound like a broken record but from what you have posted your home has some serious electrical issues that need to be addressed. If you aren't comfortable please call an electrician to come take a look. Or buy a book on electrical work from home depot or the library and learn the basics and go thru everything.
ponch37300

SoFlorida wrote:

Ron
I just saw I can get one for less than $10 that has 3 lights that tell me if it's working or not, that's all I need for now.
This will tell you if the circuit will support a low current load or not, basically only if the wires are touching. You can have the backstabbed wires just barely touching the back of the outlet and it will "pass" those testers as good. But once you apply a heavier load it can create arcing and sparking.

At this point you really need to call an electrician to check things out. You got extremely lucky once, I wouldn't keep rolling the dice.
SoFlorida

ponch37300 wrote:
SoFlorida wrote:
HouseMedic wrote:T

If one outlet was backstabbed they most likely all are. Outlets are cheap and now that you know how to do them I would replace them all and take a look at the wiring. Everything may look great on the outside and may pass those little testers but who knows what it looks like behind the cover.

Yeah I think it's a good idea to just replace them all. My breaker box says they are all at least 20 amps, should I still replace them with 15 or should I got with 20?
JeffInFL

This is from a post on another forum from 2006, but:
The National Electrical Code, in article 210.21 (B) 1, 2, and 3, describes the requirements of single and multiple receptacles on a circuit.

The use of multiple 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit is permitted. A duplex receptacle is considered as multiple receptacles and is therefore permissible to use as the single, or one of several, multiple type receptacles on the circuit.
So, your basic 15 amp outlet with 2 plugs can run on a 20 amp circuit. A 15 amp outlet with ONE plug would not be allowed, however.

I picked up a 10 pack of 15 amp outlets for under $20 at Home Depot and replaced all my old outlets.
SoFlorida

JeffInFL wrote:This is from a post on another forum from 2006, but:
The National Electrical Code, in article 210.21 (B) 1, 2, and 3, describes the requirements of single and multiple receptacles on a circuit.

The use of multiple 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit is permitted. A duplex receptacle is considered as multiple receptacles and is therefore permissible to use as the single, or one of several, multiple type receptacles on the circuit.
So, your basic 15 amp outlet with 2 plugs can run on a 20 amp circuit. A 15 amp outlet with ONE plug would not be allowed, however.

I picked up a 10 pack of 15 amp outlets for under $20 at Home Depot and replaced all my old outlets.
Okay thanks, someone PM'd me and said if I have 20 amp breakers and wire gauge for 15 amp I should look into fixing that.

Should I just get the regular ones or the tamper proof ones. I know they start at around only 70 cents for the regular ones.
UmpJJ

At the last place I bought I just went through and replaced every outlet. Cheap, though tedious, peace of mind.

UmpJJ
SoFlorida

UmpJJ wrote:At the last place I bought I just went through and replaced every outlet. Cheap, though tedious, peace of mind.

UmpJJ
Yeah it's worth it and not expensive. I already know two outlets near each other had problems, one had the top part out because of past spider egg problems and the other because it was backstabbed and overheated and corroded and I think a wire came loose.
Norm Frechette

replacing EVERY outlet/switch is only a partial solution to an underlying problem: the wiring in the entire house
SoFlorida

Norm Frechette wrote:replacing EVERY outlet/switch is only a partial solution to an underlying problem: the wiring in the entire house

I won't replace the entire house wiring any time soon or until I need to. I'm sure there are other mobile homes in much worse electrical shape than mine that are just fine. So why bother doing anything.

Just so you guys know, I told the whole story with pictures of the wires before I changed them at an electrical forum and no one was alarmed (several moderators replied) with doom like the people here. I do appreciate some concern but don't rain on my parade.
JeffInFL

I think we just like to err on the 'safe' side :) The last thing anyone wants is to suggest something that is potentially hazardous.
ponch37300

SoFlorida wrote:
Norm Frechette wrote:replacing EVERY outlet/switch is only a partial solution to an underlying problem: the wiring in the entire house

I won't replace the entire house wiring any time soon or until I need to. I'm sure there are other mobile homes in much worse electrical shape than mine that are just fine. So why bother doing anything.

Just so you guys know, I told the whole story with pictures of the wires before I changed them at an electrical forum and no one was alarmed (several moderators replied) with doom like the people here. I do appreciate some concern but don't rain on my parade.
Yes there are probably homes out there that are way worse then yours that aren't burned down, yet. But when it comes to electrical you don't want to gamble. From what you have posted there are some issues with your electrical, whoever did it didn't know what they were doing. That loose wire VERY easily could have burned your house down. The rest of your house may or may not be fine but it at least needs to be looked over to make sure it won't burn down or worse. That's why I would bother to do something.

It's not that we're replying with doom, it's that you've uncovered some pretty serious problems that need some attention. Most likely not a whole house rewire(hopefully not) but with the problems you've found I would not gamble and say "why bother doing anything"

I would be interested in seeing the pictures you posted at the other forum just to get a better idea of what you're dealing with. Can you post a link here or PM the link?
Greg

This problem points out what I have been saying all along, Modular switches/outlets should in my opinion be banned!!!

Change a few at a time, when you can. Save yourself aggravation and future problems down the road.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Greg wrote:This problem points out what I have been saying all along, Modular switches/outlets should in my opinion be banned!!!

Change a few at a time, when you can. Save yourself aggravation and future problems down the road.

Greg
I agree with you 100%, I hate those things. But in the OP's case he was using a "normal" outlet and the wires were back stabbed instead of using the screws to connect the wires. Someone rewired his home in the past and didn't do that great of a job of doing it.