ceiling question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mrstovar

We tore all of the old ceiling out of our mobile home, and put other lights in, and the ceiling will need to be dropped a bit to match with the new lights. Maybe we'll use drop ceiling, but maybe not. We could just nail 2 by 4s on the joists or rafters of the roof before putting the ceiling on, couldn't we? That would drop the ceiling without adding too much weight to the roof, right? Thanks for any advice.
HouseMedic

That would still add a little weight. What size are the ceiling rafters? Why are the new lights lower? Can't you put the electrical box up in the ceiling more? What are you going to put on the ceiling? (Drywall, Paneling?)

Ron
mrstovar

Not sure what size the rafters are but they look very light. It's an old trailer, say from the '70s maybe. We haven't quite decided what we'll use for ceiling, either.
Greg

From what you a describe it sounds to me like all you should need to do is remount the ceiling boxes, usually you just take out the nails and remount them.

If you can snap a couple of pictures that would give us a better idea.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mrstovar

I can't post pictures, sorry. The electrician that put the lights in said we'll need to drop the ceiling a bit for those lights because they are so deep, which wouldn't be an issue if we use drop ceiling, and maybe that is the best option for us.
HouseMedic

Did the electrician install recessed lights? If there was not enough room he should have used low profile ones. You could also maybe use a ceiling light medallion something like this if you could find ones thick enough to take up the space.

Ron

mrstovar

Yes, he did call them recessed lights. That ceiling light medallion looks interesting and I will check it out. Thanks.
HouseMedic

For starters was he a licensed electrician? If so make sure you have lights that are made for the insulation to come in contact with the lights. (marked IC) Otherwise you have to make sure there is enough room between the insulation and the light so it wont overheat. This could also happen if the lights are to big for the area. You can get recessed lights that are about 5" high. He might have used the regular type that are approx. 8" to 10" high and that is why they don't fit.

Here is one that is 5 1/4" in depth and can come in contact with the insulation.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-5-in-Sh ... jetOX-niUM

Ron