Ordering outswing door. Have questions....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mh_doni49

I'm going to order a new outswing door tomorrow. But I have a couple questions first.

1) I'm leaning towards getting one with a vertical slider window. I've been told it's only single pane glass. Is there a way to put a storm window on it (one that can be opened)?

2) If go with one that has fixed windows, are they likely single pane as well? If so, can I put a storm window over it/them? I see a "9-lite" and a 4"x24" window. I'd like a window but I would also like it to be energy efficient (as best it can be).

3) I just measured what I believe is the rough opening. My door is installed and there is a wood jamb right there. It looks like the door flange is screwed to that wood. The same jamb goes across the top and again the flange looks to be screwed to that. I measured from the floor to the upper jamb (inside the opening) and got 75.5". I measured from left to right (inside the opening again) and got 32". So I need to order a 32" x 76" -- right?

TIA!
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
HouseMedic

You might be right on the size. The best way to make sure the new one will fit is to take off the trim on the inside going around the door and then you can see the studs and measure those openings for the rough opening size. But I would think if you want to just measure the door itself it should be around 32" x 76".

As for the sliding window I don't know anything about them in doors.

As for the 9-light doors or any of the newer steel doors with fixed windows they are all double pane insulated glass windows and are pretty efficient.

I hope this helps.

Ron
mh_doni49

HouseMedic wrote:As for the 9-light doors or any of the newer steel doors with fixed windows they are all double pane insulated glass windows and are pretty efficient.
The one I'm looking at is a Kinro FIBERGLASS door. I can get this one locally and not have to deal with shipping charges. Following is a link to the door on a local dealer's site.

http://www.tyreepartsandhardware.com/co ... entry-door

EDIT: I stand corrected, this is an Atwood fiberglass door.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
HouseMedic

I did not know you were talking about a mobile home door. Most of the door post that I have been reading have been to change out to a regular door. I am not sure on the glass in those doors.

Ron
mh_doni49

I'm planning to convert the front door to regular door. But this is the back door it's an outswing and due to the hallway width, it has to stay that way. I didn't think regular door was even an option in that case.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
Greg

Check the articles section of the site for instructions on how to cut a full size door down. There are full size outswing doors, but I would do some measuring to see if an inswing would be possible.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mh_doni49

Greg wrote:Check the articles section of the site for instructions on how to cut a full size door down. There are full size outswing doors, but I would do some measuring to see if an inswing would be possible.

Greg
I'm not interested in cutting it down and there's no way an inswing would work. The door would have to be 26 inches at most and that's not good. I was only asking for verification that I had taken the measurements correctly and wondered about the window's R value.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)