What happened to Zurn Pex @ Lowes?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Billy123

I went to Lowes and bought pex line this weekend and they no longer carry the zurn brand. All the 1/2 and 3/4 ten foot sections now say made in china.

Is this pex from china still recommended for my drinking water?
Greg

I noticed that too. I think it was Apollo brand pex. I ended up buying a length of it for the outside faucet. Haven't used it yet so I can't say how it works.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Billy123

Greg I was at home Depot tonight and they have the sharkbite brand of pex there now. Back in 07 when I did the last MH only Lowes carried pex. The people at Hd had no idea what it was. Anyway no more pex from Lowes for me. The sharkbit brand says all over it made in the usa!

Problem solved!
Greg

It's most likely a price thing with Lowes, they probably saved a couple of pennies.

Greg
ponch37300

Greg wrote:It's most likely a price thing with Lowes, they probably saved a couple of pennies.

Greg
Yep lowes has been getting rid of all sorts of quality stuff for cheap junk. A few months ago they were getting rid of all their made in USA Vaughan hammers. I picked up a few for about 5 bucks marked down from 25-30. They also got rid of all their made in Germany knipex tools in the electrical section for some made in china crap. Also got rid of all Nicholson files for some kobalt, picked up a bunch of made in USA nicholsons for 99 cents each. There's been a bunch more stuff they have been swapping out for cheap stuff to make an extra penny here and there.

It's getting harder and harder to find quality tools and materials. Used to have a choice of cheaper stuff for cheaper price and a higher quality for a little more money. Now it seems like you get to choose which cheap tool is the better.
Billy123

Yea its a shame what the country is coming too. My only point in the whole matter was my water line being made in china. We have a grand baby that will be living in this mh and I do not want the drinking water contaminated. I do not trust nothing from China health wise. Especially my drinking water.

No pex from lowes for me they can send it back to china... The extra pennies are worth it to me to buy made in the USA.
Greg

Keep that talk up mister and you may end up running for office!!!

Greg
taylor96

We do not have any Lowes around here, but, I would NOT trust any piping made in china for potable water use.. you have no idea the conditions in which it is made or the raw materials used.. buy only from US or Can made suppliers in my opinion
KLBoldon

It may have something to do with this;
http://water.epa.gov/drink/info/lead/index.cfm.

The company I work for has vendors ramping up efforts with recalls to replace their stock with LEAD-FREE versions before the January 4th date. I just read a post about the complete change over to LEAD-FREE PEX fittings.

I can't imagine we are the only ones who waited til the last minute to complete the switch over.