building a shower

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

highway

Has anyone ever built their own bathroom shower stall from scratch ? If what was the procedure ?

thanks,
Highway
UmpJJ

YouTube.
ponch37300

What exactly do you mean by "build your own shower stall"?

I've done a handful of tiled showers, not in mobile homes though due to the movement.
highway

ponch, ....frame it out and tile it in, mostly concerned about building /tile the base ?
Greg

I have no doubt that it's been done however I would strongly not advise doing it.

Mobile homes are designed to move & flex slightly, Tiles really don't like that idea. If you are on a full foundation in an area that does not freeze you MIGHT be able to do one.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

I will second Greg's suggestion of not tiling a shower in a MH.

But that aside there are a few ways to go about it. As for the base you can get a simple fiberglass shower base. Or they make preformed sloped bases made to tile over. As for the walls there are many ways to do it. Frame the walls to the size of the shower pan. Then choose your method and material you want to do. One of the best products out there for tiling is kerdi which is made by schluter, http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx. I've used their kerdi and also ditra, both are top of the line and easy to use. I've also used a product called densshield backer board along with redgaurd water proofer for the screws and seams. You can also use cement board with tar paper behind but in my opinion that isn't the best way. One thing to remember is that tiles, grout, and cement board aren't water proof. They are water resistant and will stand up to water but they do not totally prevent it from going threw.

Another thing to consider is a fully tiled shower done right weighs a lot. It needs a good support system under it to transfer all that weight. MH weren't built to handle all that weight in one spot. This will add to the flex issues you are already going to be going against.
JeffInFL

how much does cement board flex? I was looking at one brand at Home Depot, and it said something like "prevents tile pops". When I do my master bath shower, I was planning to frame in the shower area (36x48) with 2x4's, put up cement board, then use the Kerdi floor pan and membrane stuff to tile over. My local tile place sells the Kerdi stuff, and I think it was around $300 for the floor pan and membrane kit. Didn't include a drain or curb. I think my girl wanted the little corner bench too, because whatever she does in the shower takes enough time where she needs to sit down I guess.

Before that, I am going to rip out the old subfloor and replace it with 3/4" plywood, and add additional blocking to the floor joists where needed.
ponch37300

Cement board itself won't flex much at all if installed correctly. The problem is that MHs are designed to flex. Jeff, since you live in FL you MAY be able to get away with a tiled shower if you do it right and don't ever plan on moving the trailer. You want to eliminate all movement of the floor and walls. I would even install some extra support piers under the shower not only to carry the extra weight but to make sure it doesn't move. Then blocking to stiffen the floor joists up. Then a good subfloor. Also make sure your walls are secure, my interior walls on the side of my shower were only held in place by a few 3" screws so not to secure.

I live in the cold and we are only on a pad so no footings. Our trailer will move a good inch or so each winter. No way a tile shower would survive that.

Try emailing schluter and see what they have to say. They have answered a few questions for me and have good customer service. They might be able to give you some suggestions on how to do this so it won't fail in the future.