Breaker Box

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

Since I am not an electrician I would like to know how is the best way to evaluate the Breaker Box to know if it is functioning properly and if an analysis by a certified electrician is necessary? We were discussing this recently and are interested to know if we are up to speed in terms of our electrical demands. If I were to call out an electrician do they make service calls to evaluate these kinds of issues or do we have to pay the going rate for his analysis? Do electricians do inspection evaluations and are they reasonable in cost?
Appreciate your advice,
Psaltee
Greg

That's a tough question to answer. I am sure there are some electricians out there that would do a "courtesy" type call and evaluate what you have and there are others that would charge service call rates. Your best bet may be to make a few phone calls and explain what you want and get their rates.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

You could also call your utility company and see if they would check it for free or not.

Ron
Psaltee

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the suggestions. I wasn't aware the electric utility would be a resource.
Thanks again!
Psaltee
ponch37300

What exactly are your concerns? If it's safe or if it's working right or if it is big enough for your needs? If you want an electrician to come look at it for you it would most likely cost an hour of his time at whatever rate he charges in your area. They would most likely just look at things and be able to tell you what condition it's in and if it's safe and also just by looking around your house at what you have for usage and what size service you have can tell you if it's big enough. He might hook up an amp clamp to the mains and have you turn all appliances on and get an actual reading but most electricians should be able to give you a good idea just by looking.
Greg S

If your normal use of power in the home is not causing the breakers to trip (overloaded) then the box is adequate for the home and working properly. If you are tripping breakers the box is also working properly and indicating that you are overloading the circuits and may need a electrical upgrade.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
mh_doni49

Greg S wrote:If your normal use of power in the home is not causing the breakers to trip (overloaded) then the box is adequate for the home and working properly.
But how many times have fires started because too many items were plugged in on one circuit? Wouldn't that qualify as an overloaded breaker that didn't trip?
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
Greg

mh_doni49 wrote:
Greg S wrote:If your normal use of power in the home is not causing the breakers to trip (overloaded) then the box is adequate for the home and working properly.
But how many times have fires started because too many items were plugged in on one circuit? Wouldn't that qualify as an overloaded breaker that didn't trip?
Often fires start as a result of other problems such as power strips, bad connections inside of outlet/switch boxes. If you have the modular type switches/outlets they are in my opinion one of the worst ideas ever thought of and should be banned. I would recommend changing to the common wall box & switch setup.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mh_doni49

Greg wrote: Often fires start as a result of other problems such as power strips, bad connections inside of outlet/switch boxes.
True -- I guess in that case, it's not a matter of the breaker panel not being big enough. That's a case of the outlet itself having too much plugged in to it. The breaker saw that the power draw was less than it's limit so it didn't trip -- but the outlet still got hot.

That makes sense.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
countrydan

as a safety note-

there HAVE been recalls of certain breaker panels and the breakers themselves as well. For the life of me I cant remember the brand/type right now...

These panels although installed and sized correctly have started fires at the panels and breakers... some searching should turn up the brands.

always better safe than sorry.