What kind of vent is this?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

This exterior vent does not have anything on the other side of the wall, so what is it for? I looked inside and think there may be some of the dreaded black mold.

Thanks!

vent.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

where on the wall is it located? If it is near the top it may be a moisture vent, not sure why it would be there but....

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nestsman

It's about a foot or so off the floor and on the other side of the wall is a laundry room area. It's just weird that the vent doesn't go all the way through the wall.
ponch37300

Is that your dryer vent?
nestsman

No, because the dryer exhaust goes out the bottom of the laundry room floor.
ponch37300

I'm stumped. Where are you located? Since it's broken I would search for a new one online, measure it and search for that size. Once you have it take the old one out. If it has mold where a mask. Kill the mold and put the new vent in. Try to find one that has a screen on it so critters can't get in there. When you take the old one off you can try to figure out what the vent is for.
HouseMedic

Do you have a gas dryer? It might have been installed as a fresh air vent to bring air in for the dryer to work properly.

Ron
KLBoldon

Thats the 'Pressure Balancing Damper' for the blend air system mentioned in the HVAC articles here;

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ArticleBlendAir.html
KLBoldon

Edit: but you should have one right on the opposite side of the wall on the inside. Mine is also about a foot above the floor behind the dryer in the laundry room and the exterior vent looks just like your picture, even with a couple fins broken too.

I wonder if someone removed the interior vent while ding a little remodeling...
nestsman

Should I buy a new one and put it on the inside wall so the vent actually works as designed? How important is this?