Roof-over System Installation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hallsballs0

Does anyone know where I can find a contractor in the Pittsburgh, PA area that installs roof-over systems? I've contacted several roofers, including ones that I've found on this site, and none of them do roof-overs.

I did find one place called All State Mobile Home in Arnold, PA who quoted me $5200. This seemed a bit high to me considering my home is only 14X54, so I'd like to at least get one other estimate.

The main reason I'm considering a roof-over is because this summer I'm having a condensation problem and water is collecting in my light fixtures. Does anyone know if a roof-over will fix this problem?
JD
Site Admin

>>>The main reason I'm considering a roof-over is because this summer I'm having a condensation problem and water is collecting in my light fixtures. Does anyone know if a roof-over will fix this problem?

A roof over might fix this problem if there is a thick enough rigid foam insulation under it, but I would suggest investigating the insulation in the areas where you are having condensation. An electrician can pull the light and the electrical (mounting) box. Hopefully from there you can look inside and make sure your insulation in the roof is intact. You may need a little additional insulation in the ceiling light areas. Older homes can have a ridiculously thin amount of insulation in the ceiling and the heat from the light may be causing the condensation.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
hallsballs0

We were able to use spray foam behind the light to prevent the water from coming through, but a few days ago the smoke detector in my kitchen was set off for what appeared to be no apparent reason. When I felt the wall above the detector I noticed it was very warm. The alarm is a battery operated detector that was mounted over where the old hardwired alarm had been, so I turned off the power, took down the alarm and stuck my hand in the hole in the wall. There was so much moist hot are coming from the ceiling where the wires were coming through that my hand was actually wet when I pulled it out of the wall and the inside of the paneling was warped from the condensation. So my concern is that there is condensation not only in my ceiling, but also in the walls. I'm afraid of damage and of mold growing, so I'm not sure what my next step should be.
ponch37300

I've always been a believer of ripping the problem areas out and fixing them and repairing. Seems like every time I try to "cover up" things, or roof over in this case, it comes back to bite me in the butt and cost more in the long run.

What kind of roof is on there now? What kind of ventilation do you have now? I think I would be looking at tearing off the roof and sheathing and adding insulation and putting a new roof on with the correct ventilation to keep air flow moving.
hallsballs0

The existing roof is metal. The kind you have to keep coating all the time. And there are no vents other than for plumbing. I had asked about having vents installed rather than a roof-over, but the guy recommended against it. I've been wondering myself if this is because he truly feels the roof-over is the better option, or if he's just pushing it because it's the more expensive option.
JD
Site Admin

Ventilation is a good method to combat condensation and I think it would be a good idea, new roof or not. But first I would try to find the cause of the condensation. This could be a water leak that is vaporizing and if so, this should be the first thing addressed. When was the last time your roof was sealed? Was it a pro job or a quick handyman job? What type of siding do you have? Is it in good condition? Were you able to see the amount of insulation in the ceiling when you removed the smoke detector?
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
hallsballs0

I do not believe that there is a leak anywhere. When I had first noticed the problem we had gone without rain for almost two weeks. I think it just has to do with the general climate where I'm at. It's been 90 degrees every day this week and on most days it's around 70% humidity, sometimes higher.

The last time the roof was coated was last year by me and a friend. This friend has worked in construction for over 20 yrs and has done all of my home repairs, so I'm quite confident in his abilities. Although we did use a new product last year that was supposed to have rubberized fibers in it to make it last longer, but when I inspected the roof a few days ago I see that it did not fair well and is in need of coating again.

The smoke detector is in the wall near the ceiling and there appears to be no sort of insulation in the wall at all. The heat in this situation is actually coming from three holes in the ceiling to allow the smoke detector wires to pass through into the wall. We observed this with a mirror and a flashlight being placed in the wall. The heat and moisture is definitely coming from the holes in the ceiling.

When we took the light fixture down that was leaking though we did remove the box and put our hand into the ceiling. you could feel the insulation and push your hand pretty far into it, but could not break through it or tell exactly how thick it actually was.

The siding of the home is aluminum and it was just professionally painted last year. As far as the condition goes, it's probably what you would expect from a 1976 trailer with a new paint job.
betty

Hi, theres a company called. Mobile Home Depot in Vineland, NJ... you can call them- I'm considerating using them for mine.... the # is 856-204-5000, ask if they go out to your area.
hallsballs0

Thank you. I doubt they will service my area since they're nearly 6 hrs away, but I did drop them an email. Just wondering if you'd care to share how much they quoted you. From endless hours of phones calls I have found two people to give me quotes and I was shocked by the price. For the interlocking metal panels and 2 inch foam insulation underneath I was quoted $5200 and $6500. I'm shocked because there is no tear-off or building of trusses being done. My mobile home is 14x54 with an arched roof and slight step down towards the back. Only 750 sq ft. I have two friends who both have 1500-2000 sq ft homes and they only paid $4500 for a new roof including tear-off of old shingles.
betty

sorry i didnt realize you were that far away from here... but I have a 12x70 home & was quoted $4000 for the 2inch foam insulation with the product called peel & seal with a over hang, I was told the prices have went up some- this was quoted last year. hope that helps, not sure if they will go that far- sorry!
betty

Also, I do think the metal panels cost more here also, I "think" thats the quote I got for about $5,460 from them, not sure tho... but I cant afford to do any of it :(( even tho I'd like to