Replace front door frame

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

wislndixie

I've read several posts here about replacing the front door. My question is this. 3yrs ago we had an awning put over our front door and deck. They attached the awning to our home over the door. Now, I've noticed some mildew in one corner of the inside frame. It's starting to dry rot and I know I need to replace the frame. The storm door and inside front door are fine, it's just the frame that needs replacing. Can this be done without replacing the whole unit? How difficult would it be? I've gotten the mobile home repair book but it doesn't really show how to just replace the door frame.
Thanks,
Wisln
Yanita

Hi,

Can you post a pic?

Since you said you have mold, this is not dry rot. Mold is a sign of a water leak.

I would guess to venture that when the installers put the awning up they failed to caulk the screws, or the caulking has since dried and cracked. Thus allowing water to get into your walls.

Doors come as a single unit, prehung.

Hopefully others will come along and give you some repair advice.

Welcome to the site.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Wisln,

Are you sure the damage is bad enough to warrant replacing the frame? Many times just correcting the cause and cleaning up (remove decayed wood, fill, seal and paint) that area of frame could be enough. If the water damage has eaten through most of the wood, then maybe replacement is necessary.

Replacing the a section of the door frame is possible, but you would need to have some solid wood working skills. Frames are usually finger jointed in the top corners. This keeps them stable and sealed up. If this is a standard rough opening door frame, and a high quality (priced) door, you could purchase and inexpensive pre-hung door and just use the frame. I don't know if you can get just the frame.

Hope this helps,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

I would tend to agree with the others, Unless there was a problem starting before the awning was installed I would doubt it is rotted. Make sure everything is caulked, clean up the mold and keep an eye on it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

As long as the flashing on the awning intact, that shouldn't be a problem at all!

The only real way to find out if the door frame is damaged, is to take apart the trim and inspect the frame itself.

Another area of concern around doors and windows is the level of the home itself.

The more information about your home, and your local, the better we can help you!

What works for JD and I here on the West coast, doesn't always apply to those in other areas. We seldom deal with humidity and such!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
wislndixie

Thanks for all the replys. I am down in Alabama. The frame in question is starting to split in the upper corner. I'm sure it's from a slow leak over time. I'm pretty sure I would have to take the frame out or apart to get to the leak, since it seems to be coming in over the header of the door frame. Since the wood is cracking it's gotten very brittle.
Mike
Yanita

Hi,

What type of awning did you have installed?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

The leak will be at your awning, the roof edge or possibly a vent above the door area. A picture would help a lot.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kashton

I think I need to move closer to everyone. Just so happens I have a door frame sitting on my front porch. We did reframe one of the other door on our place, and it wasn't too hard. Just remember to measure twice, cut once.

Still, it is always easier to buy the door with the frame. We decided to rebuild ours, so we could add a screen door to the frame.

I should start a used House/Mobile home parts store. Everytime I renovate, people in the park come by to see if I have anything to give away.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
altasnowman

Hi Have to agree with JD in that you probably have a water leak., and like kashton I too should move closer as i also have a frame here. but getting back to your problem i would remove trim and inspect to see how bad the damage is, if not bad then remove damaged area,repair,paint and seal. check awning caulking and remove any old caulking and reseal.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
wislndixie

We had an 8x10 aluminum awning installed to cover our deck. I appreciate all the help. I'll take the trim off and go slowly and see what I find. thanks again.