Snapit elec box replacement idea

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Mark, Greg, mhrAJ333, JD

Locked
homebuff
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: sallisaw, okla. 74955
Contact:

:D I found a good idea how to easily install the back plate & frt. box getting the wires in place in the back replaced an easy way.
Either use a large pair of channel locks or a c-clamp with two short 1x2's boards & ptit one on the back side & one on the frt. side & slowly clamp the back panel on the frt. box to lock the clips in place once the wires are in place.
The c-clamp works best for me but need an extra hand to hold the two boards in place or use a zip tie to hold the two boards to the frt. box while screwing in the c-clamp.
Channel locks scratches the box up on the frt. side. (You don't want that)
I'd love to hear some more ideas if anyone has any to offer.
Those locking tabs can be a pain to get locked in place.
I never could do it by hand & hurts the fingers. :(
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
ponch37300
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: wisconsin

Honestly I hate those snap together mobile home outlets. They aren't safe in my opinion. The way the wires are stabbed into them just doesn't sit well with me. I have about 75% of mine replaced and will be replacing the rest as I get to them. It costs about a buck to replace a single outlet using an "old work" box or "cut in" box and a receptacle and plate. Takes about 5 minutes once you do a few. I buy the receptacles and plates in ten packs and whenever I'm doing another project around an outlet I will do the outlet also. Also sounds like less work then having to take boards and clamps and what not.
homebuff
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: sallisaw, okla. 74955
Contact:

:( I have tried using the standard house receptacles where the wires are wired to the side & had no success cause I have problems getting the neutral white & power black wires cut & wired in right then back in the wall. Trying to find a nearby box to install on a stud can also be difficult nailing it to the stud or using screws as well.
I have a near by mobile home parts dept that keeps all the parts for my home from plumbing to electrical. Someone sent me a diagram of the wiring them where you wire the neutral wires around the receptacle & wire the power black wire directly into the receptacle. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I get another receptacle that needs replacing :D
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
homebuff
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: sallisaw, okla. 74955
Contact:

:D I also found the way to install my new switch box for two switches for the porch lite & living room wall circuit to the ceiling fan & computer.
I merely cut all the white ground wires & used wire nuts mating them all together & then same with the ground fault uninsulated cooper wires & wire nutted them together & then cut the black power wires & installed them in the seperate new switches like in normal homes.
Installed them in a mobile home style with locking tabs dual gang box with a double wall plate.
Looks rather nice now. :D
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Steve-WA
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:04 am
Location: Western Washington, Puget Sound

Just figured out them smileys, didja?
User avatar
Greg
Moderator
Posts: 5696
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY

Do yourself a favor and replace them with standard boxes & switches/receptacles. My opinion is that the snap type should be banned, All it takes is one bad connection creating an arc to get a fire started. Why risk it?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
calderhill
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm
Location: Oneonta, NY

Greg wrote:Do yourself a favor and replace them with standard boxes & switches/receptacles. My opinion is that the snap type should be banned, All it takes is one bad connection creating an arc to get a fire started. Why risk it?

Greg
As soon as I pulled one out of the wall, I knew they were gone! Replaced every box, receptacle and switch with my favorite, Decora. I love using my pinky finger to turn off the lights as I pass by with two handfulls of snacks. :lol:
HouseMedic
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Delaware
Contact:

homebuff wrote::D I also found the way to install my new switch box for two switches for the porch lite & living room wall circuit to the ceiling fan & computer.
I merely cut all the white ground wires & used wire nuts mating them all together & then same with the ground fault uninsulated cooper wires & wire nutted them together & then cut the black power wires & installed them in the seperate new switches like in normal homes.
Installed them in a mobile home style with locking tabs dual gang box with a double wall plate.
Looks rather nice now. :D
I can't really understand all that you have done here but if you think those white wires are ground wires I would get an electrician to check out what you have done. Those white wires do go to the ground bar in the main box but they are the "neutral wire" and are used to complete a circuit.

Don't mess with electrical stuff unless you know what you are doing. You WILL burn your place down. JMO...

Ron
calderhill
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm
Location: Oneonta, NY

Yeah, I think more than one person noticed the white wire comment among others. Sorry to say OP but you have numerous NEC violations which, in this case, are actually dangerous. White/neutral and green/ground are tied together at the panel or in a main shutoff or at the meter. By tying the ground and neutral together anywhere in the branch circuits means the return current on the neutral is effectively bypassing the breaker. Not good! Same reason you have to break the panel neutral/ground on a panel used as a sub-panel.
homebuff
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: sallisaw, okla. 74955
Contact:

Greg wrote:Do yourself a favor and replace them with standard boxes & switches/receptacles. My opinion is that the snap type should be banned, All it takes is one bad connection creating an arc to get a fire started. Why risk it?

Greg
Thanks Greg, :wink: but I am replacing it with the standard type.
They are always so hard to press the back cover on using two hands & no other hand to use the channel locks unless you know another easy way to do it.
Tried to find a video online to see how the easier way to do it
You guys should add more videos about projects like mine pressing those back plates on.
I do like all the other videos & thay do help.
Keep it up! :?

The double gang box has the little flaps to house the standard switches.
I wonder if the best idea is cut the black power wires & push them into the small holes in the back of the switches of use the side copper & silver screws instead.
I worry the wires might come loose over time.
If I can do it I will upload some pictures of the project soon,
Always have problems in that area uploading pictures to a direct post. :?
The other project I posted about the wall receptacle falling out & torn out of the wall, I just used side flat trim & glued them behind the wall so the little flaps would hold the box in place.

Thanks again! :D
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
User avatar
Greg
Moderator
Posts: 5696
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY

Always use the screws, that way you KNOW the connection is tight.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
homebuff
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: sallisaw, okla. 74955
Contact:

Greg wrote:Always use the screws, that way you KNOW the connection is tight.

Greg

:wink: Thanks Greg!
Will do that! :)
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
homebuff
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: sallisaw, okla. 74955
Contact:

HouseMedic wrote:
homebuff wrote::D I also found the way to install my new switch box for two switches for the porch lite & living room wall circuit to the ceiling fan & computer.
I merely cut all the white ground wires & used wire nuts mating them all together & then same with the ground fault uninsulated cooper wires & wire nutted them together & then cut the black power wires & installed them in the seperate new switches like in normal homes.
Installed them in a mobile home style with locking tabs dual gang box with a double wall plate.
Looks rather nice now. :D
I can't really understand all that you have done here but if you think those white wires are ground wires I would get an electrician to check out what you have done. Those white wires do go to the ground bar in the main box but they are the "neutral wire" and are used to complete a circuit.

Don't mess with electrical stuff unless you know what you are doing. You WILL burn your place down. JMO..

I did mean neutral wires & not ground.
I know the bare wires are the ground wires that go to the main box on a strip & back to the ground outside.
Thanks! :D :wink:

Ron
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Locked