My kitchen project

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg

homebuff wrote:My Wifes family has a cabinet business & going to ask them if they can build me the frame section & use the drawers, doors & top counter.
Isn't it time for a "late" wedding present? Why stop with the frame?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

I just finished ripping my other wall of cabinets out today. Probably about 15-20 three inch screws held about 13 feet of cabinets. So they are easy to tear out. The problem is that the only support on the back of the cabinets is the boards screwed to the walls. So they would be pretty fragile when taken off the wall. Also where my sink was there was nothing except the front face frame. My face frame was one piece. So you have to take the whole thing out as one piece if you are going to save them. I'm sure it can be done, just have to be careful.
homebuff

As you can see in the pics, the cabinets are good shape & just need some touch up. The drawers are in great shape to just the runners need resecured better.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
homebuff

Greg wrote:
homebuff wrote:My Wifes family has a cabinet business & going to ask them if they can build me the frame section & use the drawers, doors & top counter.
Isn't it time for a "late" wedding present? Why stop with the frame?

Greg
Not so good when you are on a budget & money is tight. :(
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
ponch37300

homebuff wrote:As you can see in the pics, the cabinets are good shape & just need some touch up. The drawers are in great shape to just the runners need resecured better.
Then they should be able to be saved. Another thing to keep in mind when tearing them out in order to save them is they aren't build real solid. So you have to be very careful taking the countertop off so you don't pull the face frame apart. And thee cabinets were built around things like plumbing drains and water lines. So you will have to either cut the plumbing and redo it when you put the cabinets back in. Or cut the cabinets so they will slide past the plumbing. If your cabinets are like mine were I would also remove the sink before pulling the cabinets out. My cabinets didn't have any support on the backs besides the strips screwed to the wall. So when you pull them out the back will not be supported. Since the sink can be pretty heavy it might cause problems. Just some more things to consider as you do this.

Looking forward to some pictures.
homebuff

I sent an email to my cuz with the frame measurements & pics.
Just have to wait for a response back to see if he can make them for me.
I asked him to make the frame only. Maybe he can make the whole cabinet assembly for me at a good price.
Getting them to me is another matter.