My kitchen project

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

homebuff

Removing the cabinets to replace the under flooring with put tearing them up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
homebuff

My pics of my kitchen project
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
homebuff

One more pic of my kitchen project.
These cabinets shouldn't be that hard to salvage to reuse.
Nay comment's welcome :D
Greg

If they are the original cabinets, I think you will find that they are built in place. About the only way to remove them is in pieces.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

I just did a kitchen remodel and it was harder getting the old cabinets out than getting the new ones in. You can TRY to salvage the old ones, but all I saved was the knobs and hinges.

UmpJJ
Greg S

I just removed my cabinets this past winter doing a total reno. The home was built in 87. The only thing I saved was the face frames and doors/drawers. It was easier to simply build new boxes from 5/8s melamine than try to salvage the rickety old built in place frames.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
homebuff

Maybe I should get a big bottle of wood glue & go for it!
LOL!
ponch37300

The cabinets they put in mobile homes are complete garbage. I'm redoing my kitchen right now and I wouldn't even think about trying to save the cabinets.
JeffInFL

I removed my cabinets with a crowbar .. wasn't much left to save. However, I found out they probably would have come out nicely if I took my time to locate all the screws holding them to the wall.
homebuff

Well when your short on funds like me you do what you have to do.
ponch37300

homebuff wrote:Well when your short on funds like me you do what you have to do.
If they are in alright shape and you can save them then great. Mine were built in place from the looks of them. Looks like they screwed some wood strips to the wall and then stapled the rest of the cabinet pieces to them. Mine were in pretty rough shape. The cheap particle board they used for everything was bending and bowing and just not worth saving. We also were looking to get more storage out of our kitchen, the factory cabinets were small in size compared to "normal" cabinets.

Why are you replacing the floor under the cabinets? If water damage I would plan on the cabinets having some water damage also depending on where the water come from since they are most likely just press board. Which would make them very hard to remove and reinstall.
homebuff

Mine appear to be ok with no water damage. Just under the middle sink shelf floor panel got the worst of it & its all bowed down. The lower portion of the floor under it I know has to be bad & rotten cause the outside flooring of the cabinets is bowed down, Thanks for the tectured formica board I put down a long time ago is whats keeping us from falling in. That stuff is really strong.
I redid the whole kitchen & dining room with it. The cabinets at the back I do believe have those wood strips holding it to the wall. Seems that wouldn't be so hard to remove it & renail it back to the wall. If i can save the cabinets! They are factory installed cabinets.
homebuff

Greg wrote:If they are the original cabinets, I think you will find that they are built in place. About the only way to remove them is in pieces.

Greg
They are factory cabinets Greg. :D
homebuff

My Wifes family has a cabinet business & going to ask them if they can build me the frame section & use the drawers, doors & top counter.
Greg S

If you can't have the boxes made go on youtube and learn how to make your own boxes to fit the existing face frames. It is very simple construction.
Having cabinet boxes is far superior to the build in place flimsy system the home manufactures use.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)