My ceiling panel repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

homebuff

I'm trying to upload the pics of my ceiling panel but too large GRR!!
I'm trying to find the panel to replace for a roof leak I had a long while back & know there's mold up in the ceiling.
The length is 89" & width is 24"
White decor pattern with long in between snap on 1 1/2" strips where the panels are held with screws.
Guess if recommended use my photo software site to up load them to get the image correct.
Any support is welcome please!!
Thank's!
David B. :D
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
JeffInFL

upload the pics to www.imgur.com .. then edit and resize to 640x480. At least that's how I do it. Then just link to them in your post :)
JD
Site Admin

Great tip for this forum, Jeff!

Yes, upload a picture. But if this is a factory ceiling panel in an older home, I really doubt you will be able to find a replacement. When manufacturers went to using sheetrock and texture, the ceiling panel manufacturers quit making the panels. The old stock was around for a while, but that dried up many years ago. Then there was a Canadian company making a suitable replacement which was available for a while, but due to the cost to a distributor to buy the minimum order and the shrinking demand for the old panels, I don't know of any US distributor carrying the product.

Hopefully you will have better luck finding a replacement. Other than that, you may be able to remove a panel from a smaller bedroom, and reuse it where you need it. I am assuming it is in the great room area. Then you can sheetrock the smaller room instead of a living room, dining room, kitchen and hall.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Or look for a home being torn down, I'm sure they would give you as many as you want.
I'm doing a tear down this weekend if you want a road trip.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
homebuff

Thank's JD & Greg!

Yall's ideas sound great. :D It's in the living room wouldn't, you know it? I put wide black commercial tape on it a long time back over the holes & still holding but tacky looking to my Wife she says.The idea getting one from another room sounds good to me. It's the only panel in the whole house that's bad. I have one more project with the dishwasher area where i'm suspecting it's been seeping water under it but can't tell exactly the location. Ether drain hose or the main hot water line.
It's leaning over a bit now which gave it away to me & the door binds on one side when I close it. I hope when I pull it out by removing the two band screw it doesn't try to fall in on me. :(
I've had alot of hot water lines leak under my home & hope this one will be the last. The cold water lines are all fine. Its the old Polybutylene line. If I could figure out how to save the kitchen cabinets so I can replace the flooring under it after tearing it out the I wouldn't have to buy new ones. The trlr. is too old to put alot of money into.
I'll try tat site so I can upload the pic files. Yanita told be a long time ago I could upload all my trlr. pics to my link on here so all you have to do is go to it to view all of them at one time.
Thank's to all you guys on your ideas. :D
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
homebuff

JeffInFL wrote:upload the pics to http://www.imgur.com .. then edit and resize to 640x480. At least that's how I do it. Then just link to them in your post :)
Then how do I resize from the site? :D I have them uploaded to a folder there now.
I'm stuck! :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
homebuff

It looks thought it took this time.
I hope!
Now you can see what i'm up against.
I know I will have to replace the insulation under the panel once i get it finished.
Greg S

Your wife was being kind with her description. I assume you were all out of white tape at the time of the repair.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Well if you still want some panels it may take a little digging to find them.
IMG_8365.JPG
Don't worry, they're in there somewhere!!!

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
homebuff

Greg wrote:Well if you still want some panels it may take a little digging to find them.
IMG_8365.JPG
Don't worry, they're in there somewhere!!!

Greg
Thank's Greg!
:D
homebuff

JeffInFL wrote:upload the pics to http://www.imgur.com .. then edit and resize to 640x480. At least that's how I do it. Then just link to them in your post :)
Thank's Jeff! :D
I used the Imgur photo software but was kinda hard to use it till I got used to navigating to get the on my desktop after resizing them.
Alot of practice is the best thing but it works.
I also have Shutterfly but Imur is easier to use.
I used to use Kodak Easyshare software for my CX6330 camera that came with the camera but they went out of business & changed over to Shutterfly.
homebuff

Greg S wrote:Your wife was being kind with her description. I assume you were all out of white tape at the time of the repair.
Gosh I didn't think about the white tape.
Have to go to the hardware store & see if they have some.
I may have to use alot to cover over the large opening.
Firs I have to drop it down & see how much damage was done inside & replace the insulation.
I also have a electrical short up there where I suspect the wiring goes over to the bar light above.
The recepticle is right below where the panel is is bad where the light get it's power.
Water is real bad on wiring & eats away at the insulation over a long period of time.
When I tested the power & ground at the light a long time ago it had no power or ground but had power & ground going into the switch.
That tells me it has to open up in the roof area. :(
I know! Turn off all power to it before working with it.
I'm proud of myself getting the pics on here. :o
Thank's again!
JD
Site Admin

Wow, Yanita... A pleasant blast from the past. Miss her.

When removing a ceiling panel for salvage, you have to be extra careful not to break the pretty fragile panel. To be safe, I would say it takes 3 people for the inexperienced. Two to hold and help lower the panel, one person to clip the final staples. To remove plastic splines, if you have them, I would just take a utility knife and cut right down the center to pull them out without damaging the panel. They will be very brittle and probably impossible to remove intact, especially if they have been painted before. After cutting, you can work them out carefully. On the ends of the panel, where they go over the wall, I use a utility knife, with lot's of new blades. They dull quickly. Immediately if you hit a staple. I put just a light angle to the blade and cut right at the wall edge.

So cut the ends, pull the splines, remove staples leaving a couple at each end to hold the panel up while working. Then when ready, get the extra hands on the panel and someone else cut the the final staples and pull it down. The factory uses roofing staples with a 1" crown to install the panels. The staples are under the splines. I use wire cutters / side cutters to clip the staple in the middle and pull each tang out individually.

Most ceiling panels are 4' wide and 12'+ long. Usually there are three 16" sections per panel, but some are two 24" sections. Then again, some ceilings have no sections and use those plastic rosettes to hols up the panel.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Steve S.

And if your panels are glued to the bottoms of the roof trusses, I suppose there's no salvaging them :( .
homebuff

JD wrote:Wow, Yanita... A pleasant blast from the past. Miss her.

When removing a ceiling panel for salvage, you have to be extra careful not to break the pretty fragile panel. To be safe, I would say it takes 3 people for the inexperienced. Two to hold and help lower the panel, one person to clip the final staples. To remove plastic splines, if you have them, I would just take a utility knife and cut right down the center to pull them out without damaging the panel. They will be very brittle and probably impossible to remove intact, especially if they have been painted before. After cutting, you can work them out carefully. On the ends of the panel, where they go over the wall, I use a utility knife, with lot's of new blades. They dull quickly. Immediately if you hit a staple. I put just a light angle to the blade and cut right at the wall edge.
So cut the ends, pull the splines, remove staples leaving a couple at each end to hold the panel up while working. Then when ready, get the extra hands on the panel and someone else cut the the final staples and pull it down. The factory uses roofing staples with a 1" crown to install the panels. The staples are under the splines. I use wire cutters / side cutters to clip the staple in the middle and pull each tang out individually.

Most ceiling panels are 4' wide and 12'+ long. Usually there are three 16" sections per panel, but some are two 24" sections. Then again, some ceilings have no sections and use those plastic rosettes to hols up the panel.
Well I may have a problem since I repainted the panels & strips a very long time ago grr! :cry:
I'll try my best not to break the strip when removing it.