Has anyone tried this?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TheCakerator

We have an 03 Commander house, double wide, with flat 8ft dry-walled ceilings .. Because of the flat, not cathedral ceilings, my husband and I are thinking that there must be a decent amount of room up there being unused .. We have tossed around the idea of cutting an opening in our master bedroom closet (close to the marriage line) and seeing if we could make that into a small attic space .. but .. we are pretty chicken to just go cutting into the ceilings without any know how :lol: Just was curious if anyone on here has done such a job?
ponch37300

Cutting the hole is the easy part. It can be done BUT my concern would be the weight. MH aren't built to handle a ton of extra weight. I haven't ever been up in the "attic" space so not sure how they are put together so maybe someone else has more knowledge about how much weight the trusses could support.
TheCakerator

Thanks for the reply .. I guess weight would definitely be something to consider ..
Greg

Most mobile homes use a truss system for roof support. A HEAVY one is usually constructed with 2x2s, many are made with even smaller lighter wood. In addition many homes use a layer of blown in insulation on the bottom that makes a real mess when you open the ceiling up.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TheCakerator

Ahhh .. so it definitely sounds like something we should pass on!
Steve S.

Greg wrote:Most mobile homes use a truss system for roof support. A HEAVY one is usually constructed with 2x2s, many are made with even smaller lighter wood. In addition many homes use a layer of blown in insulation on the bottom that makes a real mess when you open the ceiling up.

Greg
This is exactly what I have above my ceiling...previous owner had cut a small 2 sq ft access hole in mid-bedroom closet, perhaps with the same idea...but what a mess that loose-fill insulation makes...looks like my ceiling panels are stapled AND glued to the trusses. I don't think you would gain much storage space via one small access hatch and that insulation dust would get all over anything placed up there.
TheCakerator

You're probably right .. We weren't really sure what was up there, insulation wise ..