Plummer said to drip water

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I check into the forum often and have seen topics for drip or not drip. Recently in my community several neighbors have had water pipes break because of the cold weather. The plummer who recently repaired some of the breaks and he does alot of work in my community told my neighbor to drip her water and to tell others to do the same if they want to avoid frozen pipes. What are your thoughts on his recommendations...now I am confused.
archive

As we have always maintained, a dripping faucet is problems. water from the dripping faucet does not exit the drain pipes fast enough to keep it from freezing in the sewer lines. Also the sewer lines are usually unprotected from the cold. As long as your under belly is in good condition AND your heat tape is working you should not have any freeze up problems. If you do repair the PROBLEM, not the symptom. Greg
archive

It also will depend greatly on your location. Also, if you do have to do it, have a steady stream and not a drip.

I only recommend it as a last and temporary resort due to our mild winters and always with a steady stream.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

Kinda figured the frozen pipe questions would start soon! I got cold just watching the news report about the freezing temps back East LOL!

Here's another tip, leave your heat up just a bit higher than normal and open all cupboards under sinks.

Maureen 8-)
archive

There has been a rash of them around here too. Plumbers in the area are reporting a bunch of freeze ups too. Snow accumulation in vents (plumbing and heating). Lots of furnace failures due to overstressed systems trying to keep up. I don't recommend leaving a tap on, but they are saying do it at the tub with enough force to ensure draining. All good if you are on municipal sewer, but filling a septic system with water is not good! We have had 3 days of minus 30 celcius in a row and I am pleasd to report no leaks...no heat tape either! Knocking on wood as we speak! Pretty tight skirting though...3/4" plywood, elastomeric coating.

Jim