We're hoping to move in at the end of the month, so we're changing gears and putting the master bathroom remodel on hold in order to gut the kitchen, fix any bad spots in the floor, and put up new insulation and drywall. Prior to moving in, we want the following to be done:
- Get rid of the kitchen cabinets and assess any damage to the floor/walls
- Repair the floor in the master bathroom, living room and kitchen
- Scrape up the old vinyl kitchen flooring
- New insulation and drywall on exterior walls in the master bath and bedroom, living room and kitchen
- Floors covered in those rooms with Kilz Original (oil-based)
- A temporary utility sink set up in the kitchen, which will be moved to the laundry room when the kitchen counters and sink is in place
The sink was held in with a dozen or so clips, and popped out easily once they were unscrewed. The large cabinet that held the sink came out fairly easy in one big piece. The cabinets hanging on the wall were a little more difficult, but not much. There were thin panels that covered all of the screws. Once we figured that part out and beat on it with a mallet, the cabinet came out quickly.
Either the existing sink drain plumbing was cracked, or I cracked it when removing the cabinet. Regardless, I'm going to need to replace the PVC at some point. Fortunately, we're replacing part of the floor along the wall so it will be easy to get to.
The duct tape wasn't my doing.
The range hood in the first pic needs to be removed, but there's electricity going to it so I have to learn the proper way to disconnect it. Also, there's a 6" or so metal vent that runs from the hood, thru the cabinets above it, and (I'm guessing) out through the roof. That needs to come out, and be sealed off to keep critters from using it as a slide. The cabinet above the range hood will be removed afterwards.
Once the floor and drain plumbing is repaired, we're going to replace the insulation and drywall on the outside wall. Home Depot sells a small utility sink for around $25 (not including faucet) that will be installed temporarily until we can finish the rest of the kitchen.
Oh and we found 2 dead rats in the wall near the window. They didn't smell too much, so I'm guessing they were still rather fresh. I'm thinking they got in somewhere else, and got behind the drywall via a rather stereotypical cartoon-ish looking mouse hole in the drywall just next to the sink cabinet. Not sure what they died of, as an autopsy was not performed.