underbelly

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markjhansen

Hello,
This weekend I will be back up to Upper Michigan to open and turn the Plumbing on my seasonal MH.
This was the first winter that I winterized a M.H.
I hope the pipes are O.K. Last fall I blew out the lines and hope I got all of the water out!
As I was doing this last fall, I noticed under the M.H. that there might be some areas that were not covered with bellywrap and insulated.the area is by the furnace.
Afterthe M.H. was moved,I had to get a Propane Line to the furnaceand the central air installed and I'mthinking that they did not put back the wrap and insulation or when when it was disconeccted from the old place they left this out before they moved it.
O.K. finally here is my question.
Does the whole unerbelly om my M.H. need to be isilulated and covered or this O.K. that the area under the furnace or anywere else under thereis left open.
I'm pretty sure it should all be covered, but want to her some Experts.
Thanks alot.
JeffInFL

I'm not an expert by any means (I really don't know much about anything) but I'd think any open spots would mean it could get drafty in those areas.
ponch37300

The underbelly should be fully insulated and sealed. When I first moved into our MH we had a bathroom that the pex pipes would freeze a few times a year. Never burst since it's pex but still a pain. I finally started doing some research and found this great forum and started my learning experience with MHs! I crawled under the MH and found that some of the belly was open under that bathroom. I bought some of the belly mend tape from this site and redid the insulation and sealed it up and we haven't had any frozen pipes since. Keeping the belly sealed up helps keep the cold and moisture out and also keeps the critters out.

Fix any insulation issues and then get some belly mend tape and seal it up. Belly mend tape is the only thing that I've found that will stick and hold.
TheCakerator

Do you know where that tape can be found? Thanks!
bobfather99

Belly mend tape and belly patch material is sold right here at the website.
Tip your bartender.....
ponch37300

This website or probably mobile home stores if you have one close by. It comes in different sizes for small or big patch jobs. It's the only tape that will hold worth a darn so it's well worth it's cost. My closest MH store is almost an hour drive each way so it's more cost effective for me to order the stuff I need online.
TheCakerator

Thanks! We need some for a repair job thanks to the installers of our home .. now the question is, how do you maneuver around the hitches under the house? :?
ponch37300

The hitches? It's not to bad under there. I always bring a broom to wipe away the cob webs. Then use a plastic tray to drag around the things I need while under there. Just work your way around the piers, pipes, and other stuff that will be down there.
TheCakerator

Thanks, the tray is a good idea!
homebuff

JeffInFL wrote:I'm not an expert by any means (I really don't know much about anything) but I'd think any open spots would mean it could get drafty in those areas.
It will also invite bugs & spiders in the flooring into the house as well.
I have roaches & grand daddy long legs that get in my shower's & closed in spaces & under the fridge.
Seen a few brown fiddle back spiders as well.
Large rat glue traps work great for them
I know my belly wrap has a lot of square openings in it from past water poly pipe repairs.
Too lazy to get under there to patch them & getting the right patch kit to do so off MHR.
Squares are around 3 ft in square & hanging down ready to to patch with that belly wrap & glue Mark shows you how in his video.
He makes it look so easy standing up.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
TheCakerator

:lol: hahah yes, very easy while standing up! But hopefully we can get some repairs done on ours this summer .. it's on the neverending to do list ..