Belly hanging out

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeffInFL

Not mine .. the MH's.

Hello, I'm new here. I'm pretty much being given a double wide MH to live in for free. However, it currently looks like a crack house and needs a lot of work. I have no problem spending some money to make this place look good, and then live in it for free for a few years to save some money. I've been reading a lot on this website for the past few days, and have a few questions of my own.

Yesterday was the first day I had access to the MH, and did some looking around. It stinks like dog, it's got a flea infestation, and I pretty much want to gut it and start over. I started yesterday by setting off 4 flea bombs. The first major issue is when you look at the MH from outside, you can see the insulation hanging from below. From what I've read on here, it seems common in older trailers. Is it just a matter of crawling under there (hoping I don't get bit by a snake or something) and packing everything back up and securing it somehow? Here's a pic to give you an idea:

JD
Site Admin

It looks like you will need to replace some insulation, but where the underbelly is in "OK" condition, it just needs to be sealed back up. You can pin the underbelly to the rim joist with a furring strip. I like using 3M 90-HD spray adhesive on all edges of underbelly, even when pinning with furring strips. Repairs in the underbelly can be made with the spray adhesive and underbelly material, which is available through the Books & Parts link at the top of this page. Mark even made up some small repair kits with the underbelly and adhesive. I like his adhesive better than the 3M, but the 3M is good stuff and available locally.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JeffInFL

Thanks JD! I should be able to handle that .. I just hope there are no critters living up in there
JD
Site Admin

I been under mobile homes probably a thousand times, many out in the country or up in the foothills. Surprisingly, I have never suffered more than minor bug bites, like mosquito bites. I see black widows and other undesirables all the time. We have widows everywhere around here. I have seen a couple of snakes but never come up on one by surprise. I think the were vacating way before I got close.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
countrydan

1. congrats on the free mh!!!

2. before repairing the belly/insulation- now is the perfect time to get in and under the house and inspect the plumbing/drain lines (showers, toilets, etc)/duct work/etc and anything else that may need to be addressed. once your insulation and belly is up and brand new, you will not be a happy camper to have to undo what you did for these repairs...
JeffInFL

Thanks Dan .. I plan to do just that .. I want to make sure all the ducts are sealed and nothing is leaking.
Steve S.

countrydan wrote: before repairing the belly/insulation- now is the perfect time to get in and under the house and inspect the plumbing/drain lines (showers, toilets, etc)/duct work/etc and anything else that may need to be addressed. once your insulation and belly is up and brand new, you will not be a happy camper to have to undo what you did for these repairs...
I wish the underside insulation, plumbing, and ductwork was more accessible than it is in mobile homes. My road barrier is in perfect condition yet I have a desire to inspect what is between the barrier and my floor joists. I've already replaced every piece of PB pipe and fitting above the floor, but I'm not willing to disturb the road barrier just to inspect/replace rest of the PB :( Anxiously awaiting the cracked fitting or crimp ring down under...
countrydan

I'm with ya steve on that for sure. Lol.. The insulation in my mh is loose non faced fiberglass with the belly wrap as the moisture barrier which I assume is typical. I hate dealing with fiberglass insulation the most out of any project..