replacing thermostat

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Homeowner

I have a 1979 Fleetwood Mobile Home. The programmable thermostat that was here when we bought the home stopped working. This thermostatI currently have is a Kenmore Weekender II and is no longer available. I looked on line at a DIY site to see how difficult it would be to replace the entire unit. It didn't look to hard until I took the unit off the wall and discovered that my wiring system isn't the same as the one shown on several DIY sites. Do I need to hire an electrician to have this work done or is there another source of information that can help me out.
Thanks,
Cindy
jpingram5

Can you snap a pic of it with the face plate off so we can see how it's wired up right now. Also what is your system? Oil with A/C, Gas with A/C etc etc.....
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
Homeowner

The furnace is a Coleman Presidential II Electric Heater.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shaggylive

just hook up the "W" and "RH" as they are now. but actually don't think it maters which wire goes to which terminal. the thermostat just acts a switch closing the circuit.
the other wires on newer thermostats control heat/cool and fan auto/manual on. I assume your furnace has those switches on the unit it's self.
Everything I know about home repair I learned from Mike Holmes, but he never worked on a mobile...
jpingram5

Mark the green wire on the RH/RC terminal with a marker so you know that's what it is. Put them back just like they were on the new thermostat. You can buy "Heat Only" thermostats. That will have the basic terminals or if you get one made for like 3 heat 2 cool you'll have many extra terminals and you will have to go through and program it for what system you have. It's not hard to do let us know what thermostat you are eyeing to buy.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80