Installing a gas log stove...worth it ?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mirabella69

Hi fellow mobile home owners !

I live in SE MASS...where we recently have had several nor'easters...one of which resulted in a 48 hour power outage...I remained in my home for 24 hours before I gave in and went to stay in a friend's heated home.
This experience got me thinking about an alternative source of heat...namely a gas log stove...my thought is to install this in my ten foot by 16 foot living room to hopefully warm it up a bit when the next power outage occurs.. ( and where I would "camp out" for the duration ) the models I'm considering produce between 12,500 -18,500 btu/hr. These are direct vent stoves.
Does anyone have any experience with these stoves ? Do they provide enough heat to keep one in their home during a power outage ?
I also recently purchased a Sterno folding stove to heat up water for tea or maybe soup...
Thanks for the input in advance !
DaleM

Something like that will work fine for you inside the home but water lines to and inside your home may freeze. The water service to your home is protected from freezing by an electric heated cable and wrapped with insulation. The water lines in your home are run alongside your heat ducts. The ambient heat from the duct will keep these from freezing. Without electricity and the furnace running it's only a matter of time before you freeze up. There are many factors that you will have to take into consideration though when making your final decision. Things like how long the power will be off as well as the integrety of the underside insulation, belly wrap and the skirting all have to be considered.
jpingram5

what type of heat is your home? it might be worth it to use that money from the log set on a portable generator to power a few things in your home. When Sandy come through we were without power for almost 5 days here. I have 7,500 watt portable generator and my heat, stove & water heater are all gas so I was able to run my central heat and water heater cause they do not draw much power. Plus a couple things like the fridge, tvs etc etc
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80