Need advice, heat pump or not?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

countrygirl4513

We are faced with the expensive task of replacing our Coleman unit. I have a 2001 Hart Home Doublewide.The A/C started leaking (interior) last summer and we have some water damage underneath the unit. We got by on window A/C's through the hottest part of summer.Ten years ago we had a water issue that forced us to replace all duct work so we now have the standard exposed trunk line under the house instead of the traditional doublewide with duct system in the floor. She lasted 12 yrs, not bad. It was a 3ton all electric unit. We are still able to use the heat but figure it is time to look at moving all parts to the great outdoors.
What I need to be advised on is this. I've never had experience with a heat pump. One quote I got is for a 3 1/2, 13 or 14 seer Package York Affinity Series Heat pump all to be placed on the outside rear of the house. He says he needs to add some vents to keep proper air flow and dampers and the exchange and move the thermostat. He quotes me $5200 for the 13 seer and $5900 for the 14 seer. Being in Zone 3 I'm looking at a savings of $77.00 per year difference between the two. Is it worth it? I'm still working on getting other estimates. Our electric bill runs around $170.00 -200.00 year round. He says we are paying a dollar to get a dollars worth of heat now, he can get us $3.50 worth of heat per $1.00 spent. To good to be true, or is it? There is a $300.00 rebate to go along with it. He also said he could just replace what i've got now for $4200 but it wouldn't be made metal. Don't like that idea.
Being accustomed to electric A/C what can I expect from a heat pump? We like it cold at night when we sleep @ 62-64 degrees and that's year round. Will a heat pump cool like we are used to?Or will we have to run fans?Any advice?
Greg

It sounds to me like you are already doing what I would advise you to do, Get more estimates. Do as much research as you can on them and talk to as many people as you can. Contact your Utility company and get their thoughts or have an Energy audit done, there may be grants available as well.

We heat primarily with a pellet stove and rarely use the furnace (just to keep the pipes from freezing in sub zero weather.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jpingram5

I wouldn't bother with the 14 SEER. You won't see much of a difference. I'm assuming you have a central return and not individual returns inside every room which isn't terrible but the system won't work effectively as it should. Go with the 13 SEER. Your electric bill does not seem out of control for having straight electric heat. If you are wanting to re-install a new central A/C, then yes I would kick the extra $$$ in for a Heat Pump. This way you have a new Air Conditioning system as well as a efficient Heating system now and your electric coil would be a good backup heat source. You should have no problem cooling or heating. Just to give you an idea, I installed a 3 Ton Package Goodman Heat Pump a little while back and my price at contractor pricing was around $1,700 just for the unit itself. I would say Goodman & York are close in quality wise. York maybe a little better but not much. Then figure if he's running new electric and duct work needed to hook up etc etc etc. Yeah it can get pricey but the old electric should be good so it all depends on how much of a PIA the duct connections will be I guess. Shop around and get a few quotes and then compare.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80