replace heater ducts??

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

betty

Hi, is replacing your whole heating ducts under your home an easy task? I have a 1973 home & the vents make sooo much noise & its driving me CRAZY!! From one of the previous owners; they put the yellow spray foam in the ducts, for what reason I don't know, but I don't know if thats what is expanding & contrasting soo much its causing all the noise or if it's something else?, I just bought the place a year ago & I'm having alot of problems SO I will be posting ALOT of questions :(
jpingram5

It aien't going to be easy thats for sure. Try googling about mobile home central air ducts to see how they are installed so you will have a good idea of how it works. Theres some links out there with good pictures that show how seal leaky mobile home ducts which should give you insight into what you will be doing. You will have to open up the belly underneath if there is one to gain access to the duct. I would use the fiberglass board duct to replace the old tin dict thats probably in there. It should be straight with each feed coming straight off the top to the floor.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
betty

Thanks jpingram5, I have to take the whole belly board out with the insulation & replace it anyway once it gets warm due to a moisture problem causing the board to grow mold & mildew... SO I'm trying to get as much information as I can on fixing things under-there while I have it completely open. I will look online for that information.
Greg

If everything is going to be open, it may be worth it to re plumb with PEX also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
betty

Greg- "re plumb" you mean replace all the piping- plumbing... water lines... sewer pipes? That is one thing I don't know if I can do or not lol? A friend helps me do all my repairs but not sure how well he knows the above? He does all his own replairs in his house so he probably does!
1987Commodore

I'd for sure look at the supply pipes, and replace them with PEX if possible while everything is open. The sewer lines only if there is a sign of trouble.
The PEX pipe is around $30 for 100 feet. It does require the use of special fittings, and a special tool to clamp or crimp the fittings. It's extremely easy to work with. I'd just redo the supply lines while the belly is open to stave off any future issues.
betty

thanks, not sure what im going to do currently, this is turning into something I wasnt expecting to pay this much to do :(
jpingram5

If you are going to have it open completely then yes I would certainly run a new main trunk and new supply feeds. Something like 4" x 12" ductwork or either fiberglass or insulated metal. Re-plumbing would be wise to and use the PEX. Sounds like a lot to tackle but believe us, if your ripping it completely open now, do as much as you possibly can cause it's pain to comeback and open it back up to do repairs/upgrades.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80