Insulate between skirting & soil?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Mobile68

Hello.

Before I begin....yes, my venting is adequate :)

My double wide sits on the ground and only has 4" of bat insulation in the floor. In the winter, the crawl space was fairly warm, but I was losing considerable heat through the 1/2" plywood skirting. I insulated half of the perimeter skirting, and made a flower bed on the other half. This made a noticeable difference in the comfort level of the house and the floor temperature.

My question is in regards to the flower bed. It's depth is filled with soil to the height of the skirting, but I didn't insulate the skirting in that area...I just covered the skirting with a tarp before I filled I laid the soil. I didn't insulate that half of the perimeter skirting, as I assumed that the soil would be adequate insulation. I'm now reconsidering that decision, and am thinking I should have insulated it. I can still do so easily, but wondering if it would make any difference?
Greg

I used 2" rigid foam insulation on the inside of ours.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mobile68

Huh?

How does that relate to my question?
Greg

Most people insulate on the INSIDE of their skirting when they insulate it. If I am reading your post correctly you have a raised bed against it on the outside. I was stating that the insulation should be on the inside of the skirting. Would adding insulation where you have dirt on the outside help? I really can't say, I was saying that I used rigid foam on ours and it did make a difference.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mobile68

I think I'll insulate it.

Thanks for the input Greg.