Difference in Thermostats????

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

slk_ms

Hi everyone,

I live in a 1998 Southridge by Patriot in hot, humid, Mississippi. I have noticed that my ac is cutting on and off approximately every 5 min (set at 82-83 degrees). The unit is in the hall between the 2nd bedroom and the bath. I have the registers closed in the front bedroom and the bath since they are not in use right now, and keep the master closed off except for at night. With the unit cutting on and off like that, is this harder on the unit than continuously running?

I was told that if I changed out my thermostat to digital that it would help with electric bill and am wondering if this is true? What are the pros/cons of a digital vs. the slide type that is original to the house?

Thanks in advance,

SLK
Greg

I personally can't see that switching just to a digital t-stat would change your utility bills, However possibly an automatic setback t-stat would help some. You could program it to change settings around your schedule.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaleM

Is the thermostat located near a register, meaning is the cool air blowing at or in the direction of the thermostat? I see this alot where the thermostat is located fairly close to a register and it causes short cycling both during heating and cooling cycles.
slk_ms

Thanks guys! Sorry it took so long to get back on here, I have two new grandbabies!!!!

The thermostat is on the wall of the hallway right as you come in the front door, and the register is right around the corner of the wall. Something like this..........

{ H }
{ A }
{ L }
{ L }
{ }
_____________________________________{ <Thermostat is here
<Front door is here
^Register is here

Would this be what you are referring to?

In this 100 degree weather the thermostat was set on 84 and it was registering 78 in the house. The house is fairly cool and I can't help think something is wrong here.....