Shading my condensor?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

rookie35

Hello, My air condition condensor unit is in the full sun for many hours a day. I was wandering what would be the thoughts for building a airtight fence around it and make it draw air from under my home. It sits within 3 feet of the skirting and if I opened the skirting up and closed it around the unit, I think it will draw the much cooler air from under the home and make my air conditioner work less. I would leave the fan exhaust open to the sun. Does this sound right or does it not matter about outside air temp or would under my home become not so cool?
Greg

Just getting the condenser in shade would help, but pulling in cooler air from under the home may have a double bonus of both cooler air to the condenser AND pulling in outside dryer air into the space under the home increasing the ventilation. Remember to increase the size of the vents to allow for the extra air flow.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rookie35

Thanks Greg for confirming my thoughts. My skirting has vents in every piece plus I skirted around my deck which air can flow through the deck boards.
flcruising

Be sure to make the enclosure removable for servicing. And drawing air from under your home does sound like a worthwhile plan.

We have some trees around us that provide beneficial shade to our unit, so even some landscaping would work as well. Anything you do should not restrict airflow on the unit sides, so keep the enclosure walls as far away as feasible.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
rookie35

Thanks again FL, I was measuring the square footage of the vent sides of the unit so I make the skirting opened up enough to draw air easily and found it will kind of look like a wide v shape. I also understand you about the walls being far enough away from the unit too.I am still thinking how to make it for easy access for service or even replacement. I did plant some trees this year but it will take some time before I get shade from them.