Install HW Baseboard in MH

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Jimh77

We are rebuilding a SW 14x76 inside and out. It will be a fully open concept. On the furnace issue we have decided to do hotwater baseboard. The furnace will not be installed in the MH, it will be somewhat next to it in another room attached to the MH. This gives us more room as the HW is also part of the boiler so we do not lose any room for the furnace or hot water heater. I plan on running a 1-1/4" loop around the ceiling perimiter in a bulk head, the copper or pex I have yet to decide, (haven't done the engineering on this yet) will run inside the wall cavity and connect to the baseboard against the wall on each end of the baseboard. Right now this is what I am thinking of doing.
Has anyone done this before? Our last real house was a 28x60 2 story modular where I had the same setup only with 11 zones and was super efficient. (Installation was simple since I did all the pipe work from the first floor.) I have looked and done a lot of research on radiant floor and have almost abandoned it for a MH. I will have the ability to connect Solar panels to the furnace, but this again is not tomorrow.
flcruising

I'm interested in the boiler setup you will have.

My thoughts are this...

The hydronic baseboard heaters should be fine, or radiators with covers. Sizing is everything, but I'm sure you know this since you've been through it before. But why go through the trouble of keeping the piping inside the home in a bulkhead? Because of heat loss? The ceiling is not where you want the heat anyways.

Have you thought about piping it under the floor in the crawlspace and just punch up at the locations necessary? Insulating the pipe would be the only issue, but that would be very easy to overcome. There would be minimal construction to support the pipe and no finishing required. Service would be much simpler and then there's virtually no potential damage or danger like there could be from an overhead pipe bursting.

Interested to see what you do...
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
1987Commodore

My aunt had a really nice double wide with baseboard HW heat. I didn't get a chance to examine it too closely, but it came from the factory that way.