Duel Heat/AC Window Units

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

JenF88

I stumbled on this site by searching for suggestions to an alternative to heating and cooling mobile homes with central air/heat. What a great message board! :D

I read this post and had a question:
https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... php?t=5157

This post mentions having a contractor cutting a hole in the wall and building a support box for a window unit. This may seem like a dumb question, but would you keep the back side of the box open for water to drip out? I am assuming the answer is yes, but thought I'd ask anyway.

A few years back out central air went out and last winter our heater went out as well. We simply cannot afford to replace either of them; especially since the mobile home is not worth that much and we are hoping to buy a larger home in the next few years. We are currently using regular AC units and previously used space heaters in the winter. The window units work fine in the summer but we no longer feel comfortable using space heaters since we have a small child and another due in the winter. I'm thinking of purchasing two duel heat/ac units but for one room the windows are way too large (bay type windows) so we will have to cut a hole in the wall.

I'm thinking the box may even be more aesthetically pleasing than a plain old window unit sticking out....our mobile home park has a policy against them showing in the front, which is where our daughter's room is.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!
Greg

Hi & welcome. The A/C side of the question is easy, if you have enough cooling BTUs there will be no problems. The concern that I have is the heating side. Since I don't know your location I can't say if there would be enough to keep things warm. You need to remember that in a Mobile the water lines run next to the heat ducts to keep them from freezing. If you are in an area that does not get too cold in the winter you may be OK.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."