Furnace Replacement

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mmiiiiiz

Thanks for your help in the past, and now for my new issue. I have an older home ('70's) with an intertherm electric furnace that has completely gone out, and according to an HVAC company, needs to be replaced. This company was the only one who would return my call when they knew it was concerning problems with a "mobile home". They are notoriously expensive, but I thought it could at least be fixed. I simply can't afford their quote for replacement. I do have a qualified electrician who can hook the unit up. Would it be that difficult to remove the unit that's there now (small, like a college fridge), and put a new one over the same hole, makeing any floor or duct modifications as needed. I'm pretty handy.
As always, thanks for your input.
Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

Compared to a gas unit, electric furnaces are fairly easy to replace. Like you said, you basically shut off the power, remove the power wires and thermostat wires, disconnect from ductwork and take out. Put in the new following the same steps in reverse.

If you have air conditioning attached to the furnace, it becomes a lot more complicated and you'll have to hire a tech to help deal with the a-coil.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!