Coleman Furnace Removal

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

eric erickson

Hi All,
My first post. I have a 1974 Wick moble home and I'd like to remove the Coleman furnace that is in a closet. It no longer works, we only use the place as a 3 seasons cabin, and the mice have gotten in there and it stinks. Is there any info out there (or could you) tell me how to go about that?

I'm very handy and do all my own work, so I'm not afaid of getting my hands dirty! Also, the gas line is disconnected.

Thank you,
Eric
Bill

Hi Eric and welcome to the Forum,
I have a couple of questions for you. First does your mobile home have A/C? If so does it work. The reason that I ask is if you have Freon in the A/C system you will need someone to reclaim the Freon(as per the EPA). Next is this furnace a gas or electric furnace? If it is a gas furnace you need to disconnect the gas from the furnace. Also make sure that you cap the gas line! Very Important!!! If you have Electric furnace you will need to turn off the breakers for the furnace. Well you need to turn off the breakers for any furnace as they all work with some type of power(110v or 220v) The next problem is the flue. If you dont want to repair a hole in the roof i would just leave it. You can get an end cap and plug it in the bottom of the flue and just leave it in the closet. Now removing of the furnace. I guess the best thing to do is just start taking out screws. I would just start with removing what is easiest and working my way through it. Some parts are easier than others. Once you get the furnace out of the closet i would put some kind of patch over the floor with some type of insulation under it.
I hope this helps.
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.