Limited to Mobile Home equipment ONLY, or upgrade duct work?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

MrPisky

Hello,

We're buying a 2128SF double-wide and the whole heating/cooling system may need to be replaced. It is missing an evap coil and the outside compressor has had the coolant lines and electrical wiring severed by vandals perhaps up to a year ago. At this point, I do not know if the outside unit even works. My father-in-law says the outside compressor may be locked up due to moisture infiltration from the lines being cut. Can't tell if the outside unit is AC or Heat Pump and haven't checked the furnace/heat strip yet. I do know the inside AH blower works, but the air output doesn't feel uniform at the vents, especially at the far ends of the house away from the air handler.

At this point, it would take at least a new evap coil, coolant line set, and rewire to even test the other components and system operation. I haven't had an opportunity to inspect the duct work under the house closely for obvious defects, but will do so soon. The thermostat appears to function, but can't really test it fully without the complete system functional. I'm guessing maybe about $500 just to diagnose the remaining equipment with new evap coil, lines, and wiring. If outside compressor is also bad, then I'd have to replace that as well and I'd almost have a new system.

I'm considering just getting all new system components and start fresh. However, in learning about these systems, I am finding that mobile home equipment (mainly the air handler and evap coil) is different than standard home equipment. The info I am getting is that mobile home duct work is smaller and produces higher static pressures, requiring a high-static AH.

However, is it possible to upgrade the MH standard duct work and go with a "standard" system? I've seen some really good prices on complete Goodman systems and not-so-good prices on MH rated equipment. Yet, even if I can find competitively priced MH equipment, I just have the gut feeling that anything made for a MH is somehow going to be not as good quality. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would like to know for sure one way or another.

My final concern in switching over to "standard" equipment is with possibly violating some MH codes that might affect my ability to get home owner's insurance. I saw one comment on another forum that indicated my insurance company may not like it if equipment not rated specifically for use in mobile homes was installed. But if the duct work, air handler, wiring, and all equipment was compatible according to manufacturer specs and properly installed...why should my insurance care?? Not something I want to find out after the fact when filing a claim for loss with my insurance carrier.

Any ideas on how to move ahead here would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you! :D

P.S. I'm looking at a heat pump installation instead of straight AC.
MrPisky

One other issue... I had a HVAC contractor give me an estimate for a new system, which is why I'm going the DIY route buying my own equipment (will have a certified HVAC installer though). The contractor did what I thought was a simple rule of thumb sizing of the unit I would need. He came up with a 5-Ton unit and quoted me some really good price options....good for HIM...astronomically UNREAL for ME.

I don't think this home, even at 2128 SF in sweltering South Carolina will need 5 tons of cooling, but I'm not the "expert" with 20 years of experience. However, I purchased a copy of HVAC-Calc software and did my own load calc which factored in all the doors, windows, insulation, etc. I come up with a borderline calculation between 3.5 tons and 4 tons, all depending on how "tight" I rate the construction. Even if I chose the poorest "tightness" factor that applied to old homes and farm houses, it still only rated at 4-tons. I would probably go with a 4 ton unit since it's right on the borderline and because I know MH's are not the best construction with regard to insulation and heat loss/gain. But I don't want to oversize the unit and pay more for the equipment PLUS end up short-cycling it and feeling clammy all the time.

Ok, having said all THAT...does anyone here have a 1997 model Fleetwood/Clayton 2128 SF (28 X 76) double-wide MH located in South Carolina? If so, what size cooling unit do you have and does it keep up with the 90-100 degree summer temps in SC and STILL keep your home humidity in control? :?:
Greg

Hi & welcome. As you said, the system may very well be not worth fixing. Replacement may be a better idea since you would then have a warranty.

I would contact a few HVAC professionals and get a few quotes, Since I'm not a pro that's the best advice I have for you as far as price goes.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
MrPisky

Thanks Greg,

Unfortunately, that's the reason I'm considering this as a DIY project. A supposedly reputable contractor quoted me between $10k and $14k for a complete install. I can't afford that kind of investment right now.

Since I made this post, I went to the Goodman website and found something interesting. Apparently, all these good deals I've been finding on the internet for Goodman equipment are NOT really so good after all. Goodman will NOT honor their warranty on "electronically purchased" equipment unless the SELLER also does the INSTALL. See this URL: http://www.goodmanmfg.com/HomeOld/Warra ... fault.aspx This is unfortunate for those who wish to save money on the equipment purchase but who will be hiring a certified HVAC installer to setup the unit. This gives pretty much full price control to the dealers who know you MUST buy through them or get NO WARRANTY coverage. This stinks...

If Goodman (and others?) want to play that kind of game, then why do they continue to sell their products to non-installing internet wholesalers?? Perhaps they don't, and it's the wholesalers who are at fault by selling products to consumers who may not know Goodman won't honor their warranty. I've contacted Goodman Customer Service to see if I can still get coverage on a unit that is installed by a certified HVAC tech, but purchased over the 'net. Doesn't look like it, but I will find out.

Is this also the case with Coleman or other similar products manufactured for mobile home use? Are we forced to get local supplier to both sell AND install these units in order to get any warranty coverage?
jpingram5

First off, this whole "high static pressure" thing I don't buy. There's not much of a difference in my opinion. I have installed 5 standard home units in mobile homes so far with no big issues but did require some customizing and modifying. It was certainly a new experience for me as I never tried it until I did my mobile home first and it has been working amazing.

Mobile homes do use really tight duct work, mine was 14 x 3 1/2. Also don't forget you will have to figure out a return setup because the regular home units do not have door grills. I would recommend individual returns for each room and then a larger one in the living room area. Run them in flex overhead in the attic to a duct box then run a large enough flex to the return on the unit. Did it to 2 homes including mine and it made a WORLD of difference lemme tell ya.

As far as where to buy and warranties. Yes, your more than likely going to have to buy from a local retail store or company and pay retail price if you want a valid warranty. They don't just sell this equipment to anybody or else they would be bankrupt.

Please understand installing these standard home units was A LOT of work and I would not recommend it to anybody if you have no experience in the HVAC. Also, a lot of the equipment states that it is "not certified for use in Mobile Homes". So even if it comes with a warranty, if it says not to use in a mobile home, then your on your own like me.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
MrPisky

Thanks for that reply jpingram5. I don't know...I've just been warned about "high static" issues from a couple different people. But maybe it is more of an issue on single-wide mobile's and not so much the double-wide homes?

I may be out of the woods on this one anyway since we've backed out of the purchase deal and have found a much nicer piece of land with a nice Palm Harbor (the other one was Fleetwood/Clayton) double-wide on it which really looks like a better quality build. Can't verify yet, but we believe this home will NOT need a new HVAC unit at this time. However, it's only a matter of time and I want to have all my ducks in a row on this issue.

It looks like there might already be a return duct setup on this particular home. Most of the rooms have two floor ducts, whereas all other mobile's I've seen have only one. It looks like they may be routing the returns by flex hose into a downflow configuration into the top of the evap coil. This home is full 2X6 exterior and seems to be 2X4 interior construction, so maybe they ran the return ducts through the walls? Other units I've looked at in mobiles usually have a single large grill return that pull air from a large open space such as living room or dining area. But this home has the air handler located back in an enclosed laundry area. Will have to do some additional checking once they turn on the power for our inspections, hopefully tomorrow.

Once I fire up the unit, I'll have an HVAC guy come out and check/service it for the summer, since the place has been vacant for several months. This house has a 100% vaulted ceiling, so not much hope of running overhead return ducts unless they already installed them in the walls.

Thanks again for the info!